Author Topic: poorly cat  (Read 2350 times)

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
poorly cat
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:15:59 »

i have been up half the night with my two year old cat Mau. About two last night he was asleep on my feet when i felt him start. By the time i had turned the light on he seemed to be having a fit, i've seen humans fit but never an animal, but looked alot the same. After about 15 seconds the shaking stopped but then the next 20 minutes he sits panting, looking dunk/not there. After an hour and lots of cuddles he settles down and goes to sleep. Has anyone any experiances of this, he seems ok this morning, just tired.
                                    Twoflower

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: poorly cat
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:26:33 »
Yes I've have seen it.. :(
And it is never nice to see wether in humans or animals.
Unfortunately fits are symptom something else going on 'wrong' .. have you taken you cat to vets yet?
When you are comforting him afterwards..that's good..it is really frightening experience for them as well.

Twoflower

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:43:02 »

No i haven't taken him to a vet yet, it still feels like a bad dream and i surpose taking him to the vet is like admitting something might be wrong. I'll have to bite the bullet and make an appointment for him, just don't want to lose him.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:04:06 »
Ohh..don't worry..(easer said than done.. ::))...it doesn't have to be anything 'really' serious as such that leads to loosing him.
Many treatable things could cause fits....

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:25:06 »
Twoflower, There are many reasons why a cat can have a fit and most of them are treatable. I really do understand why you feel too frightend to take him to see the vet but he is a young cat so has age on his side. Your vet will be able to do some tests if necessary to rule out the obvious causes and hopefully get your cat on the way to being sorted out and feeling better. Just a quick few questions, is he drinking and eating and using his litter box/weeing and pooing outside. Just wonder if he has a water infection or blockage as a build up of toxins in his body can cause fits.
Thinking of you both
Lindax

Twoflower

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 11:16:14 »

No he is eating and drinking as usual, using his litter tray and nothing abnormal in his behaviour, it's really come out of the blue. He dosen't have much good luck. He was dumped in my garden about 18 months ago, in that really cold spell. He was covered in fleas had bad worms and blistered/sore pads. He was just getting over that when he was attaced by a dog who got into our garden, and had to spend a night in the vets he was so poorly. I don't know who dumped him, but he didn't know how to play as a cat could jump on the funiture, it's almost as if he was kept in a cage, and he is such a beautiful cat, inside and out.

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 13:31:21 »
Twoflower he has a lot of luck now as he has you to love and look after him. He may have picked up a virus, or even hit his head somehow you just wont know till he has seen your vet. Cats are pretty tough and dont normally show signs of illness they have until its quite advanced. The sooner you get him checked over the sooner you will have peice of mind. There are lots of cats that have a medical reason for fitting that have medication and live happy lives.
Just a thought is his ginger? it seeems the ginger cats have the most scrapes and 18 intstead of 9 lives lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal