Author Topic: Take on a plot... then.......  (Read 9481 times)

antsinmipants

• Quarter Acre
Take on a plot... then.......
« on: June 20, 2011, 08:27:04 »
This year we have six new faces on our site. Three of those are hardly ever there and the other three get stuck in and get on with sorting out their respective plots. My concern is with the three who seemingly have no interest in their respective plots as they are never around and it then goes without saying,the weeds have taken over,the grass has blown its seed everywhere leaving plot holders close by in uproar. My point is, why the hell do these people take on something they obviously have no intention of getting stuck into? We have our annual site management inspection in two weeks time and we intend to make sure these people either start to show an interest or get the hell out. All three have been given written warning to seemingly no effect,so I guess three plots will be up for grabs in the very near future. I think these people lay in bed at night with all kinds of great ideas in their head,but in the cold light of day the reality hits them and they simply haven't got it in them to work a plot. We have a ten year waiting list here,but I know this waiting list is bypassed when it suits...if your face fits and all that....somebody on our commitee will come unstuck...watch this space!
The night was dark....they usually are!......Laurel & Hardy

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Take on a plot... then.......
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:49:34 »
This problem is discussed on here over and over again. I agree with you abou the fanciful dream some folks have about allotments. During last month I was ill for 10 days and Tony only had time to water the plots. We still havent caught up with the weeding, and we go almost everyday.
Its amazing how quickly the plots revert back to nature.
Folks who can only get to their plots at weekends must have to work so hard to keep their plots going.
I think it wise to inform prospective plot holders just how much time they will have to devote to their allotment to keep it cultivated.
Someone on here said that they had starter plots.I think that this is a good idea. If you cannot keep a  starter plot cultivated then there is no hope of keeping a full or even a half plot cultivated
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:53:18 »
I have a one in five "rule" (not really a rule just can't think of anything else)
Out of five on the waiting list one will turn out to actually want the garden when offered then keep it and look after it. After 5 years as sec. it seems about accurate. ???
Why this happens I could ramble on about for pages! but I won't! ::)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:07:22 »
Perhaps the problem is the 10 year wait, by the time people get to the top of the list they have lost interest or there circumstances will have changed.  I will be pleased indeed if I am still willing and able to do my lottie in 10 years time.   

Perhaps the deposit is the answer so if they give up in a very short time they will have in effect paid extra rent for delaying the opportunities for others. 

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:24:58 »
does these allotment committees give back part of the yearly rent if the plot is given up before the end of the year i know at least of one who does not  i have spoken to one ex plot holder who said they were planning to give it up at the end of the year and why should they give it up before and let the allotment committee have double money iam not saying this is the the right attitude to take but if one is thinking this there will be others

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 09:34:37 »
This year we have six new faces on our site. Three of those are hardly ever there and the other three get stuck in and get on with sorting out their respective plots. My concern is with the three who seemingly have no interest in their respective plots as they are never around and it then goes without saying,the weeds have taken over,the grass has blown its seed everywhere leaving plot holders close by in uproar. My point is, why the hell do these people take on something they obviously have no intention of getting stuck into? We have our annual site management inspection in two weeks time and we intend to make sure these people either start to show an interest or get the hell out. All three have been given written warning to seemingly no effect,so I guess three plots will be up for grabs in the very near future. I think these people lay in bed at night with all kinds of great ideas in their head,but in the cold light of day the reality hits them and they simply haven't got it in them to work a plot. We have a ten year waiting list here,but I know this waiting list is bypassed when it suits...if your face fits and all that....somebody on our commitee will come unstuck...watch this space!
antsinmipants, take a chill-pill mate, allotmenteering should be gentle and relaxing.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:03:10 »
does these allotment committees give back part of the yearly rent if the plot is given up before the end of the year i know at least of one who does not  i have spoken to one ex plot holder who said they were planning to give it up at the end of the year and why should they give it up before and let the allotment committee have double money iam not saying this is the the right attitude to take but if one is thinking this there will be others
Whether the committee are obliged to pay back any rent if the plot is given up before the end of the rent year depends on what the tenancy agreement says.

By default rent is due in arrears and if you quit the tenancy before the end of the year you are only obliged to pay pro rata.

If the tenancy says that rent is due in advance then by default the whole of the rent becomes due on rent day and if you then quit before then end of the year you have no right to anything back.  However, it's not unusual for the agreement to make provision for rent to be apportioned and in that case you're automatically entitled to a return of the rent pro-rata.

The landlord is always entitled to accept the surrender of the tenancy if she wants to, but you can't surrender the tenancy as of right, not without the landlord's consent. 

Without any provision to the contrary in the agreement you can only give notice to quit the tenancy on either the day or the day before the anniversary of the tenancy (this isn't the day you got the plot, but the date the annual tenancy runs from, and it's not necessarily the same as the rent day, though it probably is).  You have to give at least 6 months notice to quit unless the agreement allows for a different period of notice.

If the landlord wants to evict a tenant for poor cultivation the tenant must be served with a notice telling her exactly what rule she is breaking and giving her reasonable time to get the plot under cultivation to the satisfaction of the rule (S.146 Law of Property 1295).  The court decides what reasonabe means and in the circumstances it may well decide it's quite a bit longer than the committee gave.  Any period specified in the agreement (such as one months for example) is a contractual minimum, and the time allowed still has to be reasonable.

If the cultivation rule is unfairly onerous for whatever reason it's susceptible to a challenge under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 so, as with all contractural terms, it's really important that it doesn't go further than necessary to protect the legitimate interests of the landlord, and that it takes fully into consideration the legitimate interests of the tenant.  Unfair terms are simply unenforceable.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 10:05:24 »
antsinmipants, take a chill-pill mate, allotmenteering should be gentle and relaxing.

Yes it is meant to be all about the gardeners, even if they turn out not to be gardeners after all!

I suppose at the end of the day there are things you can do to improve the situation - starter plot, advice/education, support and enforcement of cultivation rules. But you have to accept there will always be some who fail at it. It's a shame but there it is. All we can do is limit the amount of failures.

It irritates all of us to see unloved plots, and it feels nice to have a moan and be quietly smug if we're honest.  ;D I can usually only go at weekends. It's doable. The best plots near me are people who only come at weekends.

Which is what I wish I could tell people when they let their plot go, and say 'well it's because I'm busy'/ 'I work.' I think you only have to come once a week but it needs to be EVERY week - not once a year!!  ;D

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 10:24:32 »
This problem is discussed on here over and over again. I agree with you abou the fanciful dream some folks have about allotments. During last month I was ill for 10 days and Tony only had time to water the plots. We still havent caught up with the weeding, and we go almost everyday.
Its amazing how quickly the plots revert back to nature.
Folks who can only get to their plots at weekends must have to work so hard to keep their plots going.
I think it wise to inform prospective plot holders just how much time they will have to devote to their allotment to keep it cultivated.
Someone on here said that they had starter plots.I think that this is a good idea. If you cannot keep a  starter plot cultivated then there is no hope of keeping a full or even a half plot cultivated

Shirl - I know how you feel ive had both of my parents seriously ill meaning ive missed time on plot whislt ive been travelling from kent to essex for hospital visits. Even keeping up with fruit picking is a bit of a nightmare right now. As you say weeds do quickly take over.
Im now hoping its all systems back to normal but it will still take me a bit of time to get back on top of the upkeep of the plot. Im there every weekday barring tuesdays, for a couple of hours and generally there at the weekends to with the nippers and hubby.

Boys love this time of year  with all the harvest. One of them was most upset yesterday when I turned 6lb of whitecurrants into whitecurrant jelly. I think he thought he was going to eat them all.

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 14:44:18 »

I work 5 days a week and try to put in as many hours as I can at the weekend, during the week I will water and do half an hour of bits and bobs, but I don't get home till about 7 in the evening, however, I love the weekends to make sure I make the most of it and yes it is hard work :).

On our site there are about 6 half plots which seem to be going well, but about 3 normal plots that have not been attended to for the last 3 months and are a state, we have plot inspections every 6 months so maybe they will be re-distributed. :-\

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 18:47:38 »
I am sure that there are lots of people who manage a lottie and a job.  It is light at the moment before 5 and not dark again until after 9pm.  There are quite a few on our site who pop down for water about 8pm or only manage weekends.  If there is a will there is a way.  When I worked I did my veg growing from 6 - 7 am.

If only 1 in 5 actually succeed this is a terrible failure rate.  A ten year waiting list should therefore only be 2.  

Perhaps people who turn up and volunteer to help clear plots should get priority.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 21:45:57 »
I think the probationer system works well, we give new plot holders 6 months to get going on ther plots, and if they are not making a go of it by then they lose the plot at that point. This saves a lot of hassle if they turn out to one of the people who find it harder than they expect and do nothing with it.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 07:43:17 »
I totally agree with you there Deb
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 20:20:26 »
I think the probationer system works well, we give new plot holders 6 months to get going on ther plots, and if they are not making a go of it by then they lose the plot at that point. This saves a lot of hassle if they turn out to one of the people who find it harder than they expect and do nothing with it.

Got to admit I would have failed this test at 6 months but at 3 years I've almost got the hang of it. As I had almost no experience of veg growing and an overgrown plot this isn't very surprising  :) Support is very important so keep a carrot ( and some spare seedlings) handy along with the pea stick  ;D
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 22:31:44 »
That's why we introduced Starter Plots. Three members last year "graduated" onto proper plots and are all doing brilliantly; of the current five, one has already asked to move on in the autumn - I don't think she'll be the only one.

I grew up on an allotment and I've grown vegetables all my life, but moving on to a full-size plot of my own was a steep learning-curve. How do people cope when they haven't have an entire lifetime of experience? They need help and encouragement....

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 11:15:47 »

sounds like you want the site secretaries job!!
You couldn't make it up!

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 18:56:16 »
One new member on our site had to give up preety soon and telephoned me to let me know.

I will keep him on the list so that he can take the next plot available when his other commitment allows him.

I have a couple of folks now who are at the top of the list but unable to give them the time so have not accepted the plots.  I find this attitude so refreshing and sensible- it makes no odds to me and much better than the folks who like Robert says will not admit they have lost interest but obviously have.

Why so many on my list do not want a plot  at all when offered is a surprise- other sites do not seem to have this as much. :-\

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 19:08:44 »
Code: [Select]
Why so many on my list do not want a plot  at all when offered is a surprise- other sites do not seem to have this as muchIt is same 'game' on this side of the border... ::) Only other day we went knocking on door of the person at the top of the list. This person answered the door and said that he is NOT the person.. ??? At first we though we got it wrong even as other one of us remembered his face...but then we though that maybe we got it wrong after all. We saw postman coming buy...and asked "where such and such lives as we are not sure of the door number" (little white lie  :-X) And even he pointed at the door we just visited.  ::) Now I would have thought it would have been easier to say "sorry changed my mind about it".
We keep dropping letters to people and nobody don't get back.. ??? At the moment it looks like we are jumping the list several places per free plot at the time. Looks like the situation is not that desperate here in midlands.

antsinmipants

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 08:48:13 »

If we all lived by the chill pill rule nothing would ever get done.....wanna be in chill pill mode go to Spain!
The night was dark....they usually are!......Laurel & Hardy

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 18:33:44 »

If we all lived by the chill pill rule nothing would ever get done.....wanna be in chill pill mode go to Spain!
I'm not sure what's wrong with Spain, but the 'chill-pill' idea seems to be the best advice I've seen so far......
Ants-in-my-pants eh? Says a lot....;)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal