Author Topic: cordless strimmer  (Read 27607 times)

diggerrick

• Quarter Acre
cordless strimmer
« on: June 17, 2011, 15:43:55 »
hi, can anyone advise me on which is the best cordless strimmer to get ? don't want a petrol one if i can help it,i think a cordless one would be easier to maintain and to use also.would a 18 volt be ok or would i need a 24 volt? cheers rick. 
keep digging

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
Re: cordless strimmer
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 16:34:54 »
I use a proper mains voltage one, powered by a 800w petrol generator, which has lots of other uses.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 17:46:06 »
A neighbour bought a battery operated strimmer from homebase to help clear her very overgrown plot.  She said she couldn't handle a petrol engine driven one but the one she got was not up to the job.  Nowhere near.

OK that is just one case but even though battery technology is miles better than it used to be, the petrol option may be what you need.

JMO :-(

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 18:28:51 »
I have a Bosch Acutrim 18v strimmer (with plastic cutters not line). Its fine for doing the edges of my plot and small areas of grass and light weeds, though I wouldnt try it on anything too tough. Its fairly light and very quiet, which suits me.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 18:53:26 »
We've got a petrol and the OH often takes over  when a neighbours cordless gives up  :)
sanity is overated

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 19:06:06 »
I have been considering a battery strimmer for a few weeks. I cannot handle a petrol one, it is not an option for me. So, it would seem I would be wasting my money if I invested in one.I have an area round the greenhouse and a patch of grass about 10 feet x 20 feet to try to keep tidy..would a battery one handle that please. I was hoping I could do this while John was doing the heavier stuff.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 21:29:33 »
I came to using a petrol powered strimmer by a rather indirect route: I have used a mains electric job for many years with complete satisfaction.  Then my daughter told me that a person of my age should not be up a ladder to trim my hedge, so I went out and bought a Stihl pole cutter to keep my feet on the ground and save me from earache.
The pole cutter came with a strimmer (its a combi job). When I gave the strimmer attachment a try I found it heavier and more awkward to use than my old mains strimmer, so I carried on using the old strimmer while the new petrol one gathered dust in the back of the shed.
However I had also found the pole cutter heavy, and the harness provided was neither use nor ornament, so over the following winter I added about 3 minutes upper body strengthening exercises to my morning routine.
Next spring the pole cutter was more manageable, the petrol trimmer was magically light, and the harness was thrown to the back of the shed to gather dust along with the electric strimmer.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 21:38:03 »
What a motivating story, Russell!  :)

I was looking into this as well. I think if it's the maintenance of grass paths, you might be alright with a good battery one - maybe have a look at the reviews or people complaining on online forums, before you choose which model. When I was looking, the cheapest ones I had my eye on got some complaints.

If you want to clear brambles and so on, I don't know whether a battery-powered one would cope.

Someone lent me a petrol one, but it was about 8 foot long and weighed a ton, and I couldn't carry that 15 mins walk to the plot, so it's never been used.

I am still toying with the idea of a scythe... 

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 22:09:05 »
What a motivating story, Russell!  :)

I was looking into this as well. I think if it's the maintenance of grass paths, you might be alright with a good battery one - maybe have a look at the reviews or people complaining on online forums, before you choose which model. When I was looking, the cheapest ones I had my eye on got some complaints.

If you want to clear brambles and so on, I don't know whether a battery-powered one would cope.

Someone lent me a petrol one, but it was about 8 foot long and weighed a ton, and I couldn't carry that 15 mins walk to the plot, so it's never been used.

I am still toying with the idea of a scythe...  

I came to the conclusion a long time ago you want the balls of a petrol engine on a garden tool, otherwise its just a toy.  The only mains electric garden tools  i have are the Bosc 300W strimmer (cos there very cheap and I already have a generator) and a JCB Shredder (which is 3500W and cant be driven with the generator). Otherwise i have a Pole Trimmer, Standard trimmer, lawn mower, rotavator, and Chain saw, all petrol.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 22:11:36 by lincsyokel2 »
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 18:46:06 »
Lots of good info here about petrol strimmers and other things but... could we please get back to the original question if possible as I would really like to find out..

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 19:23:03 »
I  have recently bought a Qualcast 18 volt Lithium ion grass trimmer.   It works well on grass and soft weeds.   It also pays out the line well.  It has a guard so you can strim up against raised beds, and the battery lasts a good length of time.
I tried other plotholders petrol and stihl one and realised I could not cope with either.   
Hope this helps.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 20:23:57 »
Jeannine, the reps of the cordless strimmers are that they are weak, the Ad pictures usually show a woman strimming the edge of a well manicured lawn and when you look at the reviews on Amazon, they are stuffed with complaints about how ineffective and unreliable they are.  If you have any serious strimming to do, you will probably be better off on your hands and knees with shears.

I have a mains 240V strimmer and even that isn't that great.  So although I haven't used one ever, I wouldn't even bother with a cordless electric one.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 21:12:40 »
 i have a 14.5  volt bosch strimmer  which is ideal for me  to keep the grassy bits down  i find petrol ones are too heavy for me and we have no electric on our allotments  i havnt tried on anything tougher than grass             

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 21:31:24 »
Tomatoda, Brownthumb, could you please tell me how long it would run on a full charge. The area I have is not heavy stuff and is not real big , it sounds positive from what you have told me and may be viable if it runs for a decent amount of time.It is my only option and if push come to shove I may even be able to do it from my scooter if need be.

Thank you XX Jeannine

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 22:39:12 »
Two years ago I bought a Bosch Accutrim, because it had the best reputation of the battery strimmers.  It was really quite ineffective for the allotment.  Battery endurance was around 20 minutes before it lost sufficient torque.

We now have a Stihl petrol strimmer, bought secondhand, which does a proper job.  The Accutrim was given away.  I couldn't bring myself to charge money for such a useless thing.

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 00:41:13 »
Have you thought about the getting a push lawnmower that just has a blades on wheels??  If it is just grass that you are cutting i recon this will do the job, you can probably get these cheaper than a cordless strimmer & they are very light.

Just a thought :)
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 07:56:44 »
The instructions say 20 mins, but I have used it for over 30 mins..  It may depend on how easy the grass is to cut.  I use my strimmer on narrow paths between my veg.  and along the dividing path between plots.   The battery charges in 2-3 hours.   

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 08:52:29 »
I had a petrol strimmer...still have but I am going to sell it as it is too damaging for my lower back problem. Someone on here recommended the ryobi one plus with Li ion battery. It's not cheap but I got it and I am very impressed.

When I first got it it lasted just over 20 mins ...the grass longer then. Last use I had over 30 mins and had strimmed most of the grass on my plot.

aussiedigger

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 09:40:15 »
OH bought me a Bosch battery powered strimmer about 3 years ago, specifically for the allotment.

On the plus side - it's light, does a good job on the grass paths and edges and lasts for a good 30 mins even though the instructions say 20 min.  You can adjust the angle of the cutting head to do the edges and it's easy peasy to operate.

On the down side, I've tried several types of cheapo blades ... all failed so have resorted to buying proper Bosch ones.

The electric strimmer hasn't seen the light of day in the back yard either since the cordless one arrived!  ;D

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 09:43:26 »
PS to above.   It pays the line out with no trouble. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal