Author Topic: Strawberries - can I move plants  (Read 1838 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Strawberries - can I move plants
« on: June 12, 2011, 10:35:10 »
This is one of those questions that shows I'm having fun, but boy, do I still have a lot to learn.
In a (failed) attempt to introduce some artistry, I thought it would like nice to have strawberries in a nice row in front of the rasberries.  I didnt consider (have done now!) how big the rasberries would grow and the foliage has all but crowded out the strawberries which arent getting the sun they really need and the fruit isnt ripening.  Can I move them at this late stage or is that asking for trouble.

Many thanks for all the responses.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Strawberries - can I move plants
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:12:54 »
it's not a good idea to move them if they have fruit on. Can you tie back the raspberry canes with twine until you've picked the fruit?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:13:21 »
You can move your strawberries..but...it WILL be hard work to keep them watered and happy during summer while they are trying grow the tops as well as establishing roots...never mind trying to produce some fruit as well.
There is nothing lost if you just leave them for now..get new area prepared for them over the summer/autumn and lift them up later on. If you lift them now..they will struggle to fruit..leave them in shade..they will struggle to fruit.

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 14:30:00 »
Many thanks for both responses.   The raspberry is almost rampant and I think difficult to tie back so will probably leave strawberries in place for moment and lift/move later on as suggested.

peterh

• Not So New ...
  • hi i am 70 and have a passion gardening!!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 13:35:29 »
hi the plats will be putting out new shoots shortly, and you will see small plantlets forming. if you can put a small pot compost under each one without severing the soot from the mother plant. this will give you new plants for next year. do this each year as you Will find after about 3 years the yield becomes poor. I grow mine in raised beds in full sun with a net over so i get more than the birds. Just picked a bowl full of ripe berries wonderful. i have a very sweet tooth
all the best peter 

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:22:52 »
thanks peterh - nice advice and if, it ever stops raining now, I will get down there to attend to it. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal