Author Topic: new potatoes  (Read 3200 times)

peterh

• Not So New ...
  • hi i am 70 and have a passion gardening!!
new potatoes
« on: June 15, 2011, 13:26:36 »
 hi,
 Dug up my first row of early pots today just over 9lb off just 10 seed pot (Rocket). good size and clean. lovely jubly :o

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: new potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 13:58:26 »
That's not bad at all.. ;D Rocket is good cropper.
So it is spuds for the dinner then.. ;)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 17:50:12 »
I dug up 30 the other night off three plants and there was some real big uns, and I committed the cardinal sin and did chips with the big uns.   :o
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 19:06:31 »
OH did a furkle yesterday & we had 11/2 lbs from 1 Swift. They were lovely ;D.

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 19:44:02 »
Rocket are a good reliable early, I have been digging them for 5 weeks, good crop average 2lb per root.
Also digging Casablanca, good flavour but a bit on the floury side, dug some lady Christi yesterday also a great early. My follow on crop are kestrel. I normally set around 100+ kg, and always include at least 1 new variety. This year my new variety was casablanca, lovely flavour but break up if not watched while cooking.
Also growing British Queen, osprey, marfona, lady balfour and valour. 

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 20:00:01 »
Peter - how do you eat 9lb for dinner??

= Tim

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 20:11:41 »

Would it be that hard to eat 9lbs. I dug 3lbs yesterday intenting to have half cold with salad the next day......................the kids polished them off and asked for more!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 20:19:11 »
No wonder we all grow our own!!

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 20:28:18 »

My youngest( shes 4) has her breakfast at the moment and then wonders outside for peas, sorrel, strawberries, raspberries. It would cost me a fortune if i had to buy all the soft fruit she eats over the summer month!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 23:46:17 »
I dug up 30 the other night off three plants and there was some real big uns, and I committed the cardinal sin and did chips with the big uns.   :o

I've had some chips out of my Pentland Javelins and they were reet nice..... just had mashed Lady Christl for tea along with fresh broadies and carrots..... taking a carrot to the allotment society meeting tomorrow to wave under the oldsters faces and rant something along the lines of "See you can start carrots in modules!".... It's a near perfect carrot....

chrisc

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 07:34:11 »
My new potatoes  are quite badly affected by scab, taste great but have to be peeled.

peterh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 08:21:36 »
nice to hear from you all . I must say my girth is getting bigger by the day :'( :'(

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 09:57:04 »
I confess that I parboiled the first earlies with their skins on (scrubbed first), then as they were just getting tender I pan fried them with red onion, garlic, thyme and parsley. God they were bloody delicious! The skins were just a bit crispy and they don't fall apart at all.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 10:18:19 »
Hi peterh
I got hit by late frost last year so put mine in pretty late this year.  When did you plant yours?

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 13:03:44 »
Am I jealous? d**n right!! Mine were a little late going in this year so I'm not going to tickle the haulms until around the 26th - can't wait!

peterh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 16:28:16 »
hi I planted mine out mid March after chitting  8) I do live on the south coast and the soil is very light Peter

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 12:36:05 »
I've had some chips out of my Pentland Javelins and they were reet nice.....

I planted my Pentland Javelin early April.  Best take a look next week.  Just bought some spuds 2 days ago ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

picman

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 15:10:55 »
Our first Charlotte this week... just great we had them with Romanesque broccoli, salmon and parsley sauce....... If you want a change from boiled , mashed, chips or roast look up 'three potato curry' on the www  a nice change ...

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 15:19:49 »

Dug up some Vanessa and they were badly scabbed but Red Duke of York alongside are fine.  Have left Home Guard to swell a little more.  I do not think I will have to buy another potato for some time to come now. 

Some of my potato plants have gone mad and some are getting on for waist high. 

Saw your carrot Chris.  Impressive, my biggest are currently only half the size.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 17:52:20 »
All my swift seem to have black leg, at least thats what I think it is. Tops all dying and the stems rotten at and below ground level. had a look at the potatoes and apart from some scab they seem ok. Planted on ground that hadn't been used for at least 15 years. Only the swift seem to be affected, thank goodness.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal