Author Topic: Janet the not-so-feral kitten  (Read 2752 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Janet the not-so-feral kitten
« on: June 15, 2011, 14:04:26 »
A few photos of Janet taken today

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

[attachment=3]

I've put this in 'Pets' rather than 'Wildlife' because I don't look on our feral cats as being wild any longer.  Janet was always the shyest of them all and would never come close but she has gradually started to trust me and comes for a fuss whenever
she sees me.  I am able to pick her up a few inches off the floor but she isn't very keen on it.  She doesn't bite or scratch me so I'm hoping that in time she will get used to it.  When I stroke her she rolls over on her back and looks as though she wants me to stroke her tummy.  I haven't tried it yet because I have memories of cats in my childhood digging their claws in my hand when I did it.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Janet the not-so-feral kitten
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 14:15:28 »
Ahh..she is lovely..nice pale colour...
I know what you mean about tummy stroking..some do behave like they want it and once you touch... :-X
We got quite a few cats around here too..although not feral but really shy for letting anybody else but their owners near.
I love the challence to win their trust and letting me close. When they twist on their back..I never go for the tummy first..I try under their jaw first and slowly 'test the water' by stroking lower and lower towards the tummy. ;D They usually let you know very quickly what their intentions are... ;D
So far I still got all fingers with skin left.... ;D
Me and the cats/dogs have understanding for no major problems..but some reason anything with two sharp teeth like rabbits etc. we don't quite 'see eye to eye' as well. I've often ended up with 'blood sample'... ::)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 14:17:49 »
she's gorgeous, and obviously likes and trusts you.
Try stroking her head when she's on her tummy, and then under the chin and see how it goes

ah, I see Goodie got in there before me  ;D

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 14:24:55 »
Lovely! I wouldn't stroke her tummy either,  having learnt the hard way what happened when I did with even the friendliest of family cats in the past.  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 14:41:26 »
So pleased that she is coming around at last. Perhaps she knows that you need the fuss too.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 16:30:43 »
That's really nice, she looks so sweet but I think I too would be wary of tummy stroking for a good while yet.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 23:38:13 »
What a beautiful cat.

I'm sure I'd have ribboned hands by now, I'd just not be able to resist that tummy!

Alison

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 08:17:36 »
What a sweetie. I wouldnt be able to resist either!

The most 'bitey' cats I have found are those with owners who played rough games with them as kittens, tickling them and teaching them that hands are fair game. Your feral cat won't have had any of that, so you may well be surprised.

You could try with a hairbrush first if you are nervous - just get her used to being brushed first so she doesnt just see it as a threat or a toy!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal