Author Topic: Our cat Celine is very sick  (Read 5434 times)

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
Our cat Celine is very sick
« on: June 12, 2011, 10:34:26 »
our 12 year old rescue Ragdoll Celine is very sick. She had been acting like she was going into dementia for a while but eating and drinking fine and playing and just seemed she was getting confused. She started pooing by anything of mine like the side of my bed or by my shoes or in one of the cats beds. Because she seemed well we assumed it was the start of dementia. I took her to the vet 4 weeks ago as she strained on the litter box and she was treated for cystitis. She then went down with the reaccuring uper respitory infection that she has carried since she was a kitten and was given her usual meds but the vet weighed her as well because we both thought she has lost a bit of weight. She normally loves her food and is a big cat anyway so she always has had a bit of padding on her. She was also given a powder to put in her food which helps with stress (although not stressed it can help with dementia). She returned for her appointment two weeks later still with the upper restpitory infection and she had lost weight again. She had stronger antibiotics this time and something to incress her appitite. She was still wanting a fuss and eating at that time. Last friday she really didnt want to eat much and did not eat over the weekend so on monday moring I got some super high colorie build up food from the vets and syringe feed her throught the day until her appointment with the vet on friday. Hubby went with me as she has lost so much weight we both suspected the worse. She had blood tests and the vet phoned us in the afternoon. She had triads disease it affects the liver, pancreas, bowl and intestines. She has managed to hide it until its so bad that there is nothing that can be done. our vet explained she is in no pain and because of the condition eating is impossible for her. She is literally just drifting off to a long sleep. As long as I can keep getting fluid into her to keep her hydrated he like us feels its better to let her drift off at home with the animals and people she loves and that love her around her. If he takes her into the surgery and puts her on a drip she will stress and be lonely and as she will loose her life anyway he and us feel its far better for her tobe with us. he is on the end of the phone (even have his home number) if she worsens and we cant cope he will be there. She is home sleeping in her favourite beds cuddled up to her favourite cats and being loved and told she is loved up to the end. its so sad as she is a wonderfull cat that everyone loves for her gentle nature. Celine is not expected to last til monday. i hope she just goes to sleep.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Our cat Celine is very sick
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:07:29 »
Sorry to hear your bad news..but your vet sounds really nice suggesting that staying home would be the best option. I've never heard that condition, but sounds like its one of the 'nicest' way to 'depart'..just drift away. At least you girl is not in pain.
You have given her good home and done your best to look after her..thats all what one can expect from you.
But, "all good things come to an end" hopefully she has a good 'sleep'..I'm sure you will give her plenty of 'loving'..take care.. :-*

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:14:51 »

So sorry to hear about your lovely cat,  they have a way of touching your heart don't they.
   June.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 14:20:02 »
So sorry to hear about Celine.

Alison

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 14:50:50 »
Sorry to hear this about Celine, but what a lovely vet you have.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 15:00:25 »
Thinking of you. I bet lots of humans would love to end their days as Celine.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 15:13:50 »
It is such a shame when we have to say goodbye to our animal friends.They give us so much enjoyment while they are with us. You know that she had a good life while she was with you and that makes it a little easier to deal with.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 15:50:33 »
Oh, how I feel for you & poor Celine. What a wonderful vet.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 19:38:32 »
I really feel for you, we have been through similar recently, you and Celine will be comforted that you are together for the last few hours, take care, thinking of you. x

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 12:40:40 »
Thanks everyone for their kind words. Celine is still with us at the moment. I dont know how as she is very very thin and weak but she is hanging on. She even has managed to make it to her garden so she could have a little sleep under her favourite tree. I was only in the loo for a few minutes and she managed to walk from her bed through the bungalow and down the steps into the garden. We are taking things hourly with her and i am managing to get the water down her (feel quilty every time I have to disturb her to do this, but it has to be done). The other cats sense something is wrong and Redford  whom she kept in check when he was a kitten has been a little star and cuddled up to her in her various beds using himself as a cushion and when she is awake he gives her a little wash. Lillie who she is probably closest too doesnt go near her I actually think she is preparing herself for when she is no longer with us. The others take it in turns to sit beside her when she is having her syringes of water.
You are right about my vet he is a wonderful man, he has a deep love of animals and he is always seeking new information and techniques. He can be quite holistic in his approach and I am sure this has helped Redfords ongoing condition. Had he been under another vet he would have been a drugged out ,over medicated, organ damaged cat.  I dont think my vet will every be rich but he will always be blessed.

I will let you know what happens with Celine but once again thank you fro your thoughts at this time.
Linda

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 16:46:49 »
Oh how sad! Still, it's the best for her to be able to spend her last times at home with those who love her. Other animals act so strangely when one is sick or about to pass, don't they? They do have sixth sense.

Take care, be strong,
Adrienne xxxx
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 17:22:41 »

Poor little cat .its so sad when we have to say good bye. my old Birman cat Gracie is twenty years old ,and I just enjoy having her with me day by day .
So sorry to hear this about Celine, be strong.
   June.

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 11:39:02 »
Thank you all for your lovely replies. Celine lost her battle for life on monday morning (our wedding anniversary). We had 10 extra days with her and I hope she died knowing just how much she was loved.She astounded us by crawling to our bedroom in the early hours of sunday morning and crying to be picked up and placed in bed with us. Our big boy Redford never left her side and he is quite lost at the moment. We buried her under a slab in her cat run where she loved to sit.
RIP Celine our lovely baby you were a unique cat and will always be missed.xxxxxx

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:32:04 »

Sorry to hear your sad news. but I am sure Celine knew she was loved, and you can take some comfort knowing she passed away with you at her side .
   June.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 13:50:05 »
Big hugs, all cat owners will know how sad you feel.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 13:54:19 »
 :'(......hug.....

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 14:17:22 »
So sad to hear she has gone.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 14:40:35 »
So sorry to hear this news Linda.  It's always sad when our lovely pets die, no matter how old or how young they are.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 17:16:54 »
I'm sure she died knowing she was loved
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 18:57:35 »
Just wanted to tell you that you are all such lovely, kind supportive people you are all stars :)

Lindax

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal