Author Topic: grafted tomatoes  (Read 2163 times)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
grafted tomatoes
« on: July 29, 2012, 21:50:24 »
A while back a question was asked about growing grafted tomatoes, i said I was giving it a try and can now attach a photo of the plants so far. The are supposed to be resistant to blight and at the moment show now sign at all of any problem. they are full of bloom which is just starting to set. I am very pleased so far. 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: grafted tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:05:21 »
my home sown ungrafted tomatoes, alicante, strillo and ferline are also blight free but have tremendous amounts of fruits on them. Alicante and ferline fruits are large, I would say 2-6 to a pound, some are very satisfyingly large. Ferline are getting red and are both indoors and out. The others are only under basic polythene shelter. Strillo are small fruits but there are a lot and they are in proces of being picked

I am in somerset and it has rained fit to bust

I am not bragging or anything like that, just trying to get my head around the so called benefits of grafted, as they were heavily marketed. I am quickly learning that new ideas and varieties are not always the best

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 09:09:03 »
Grafted tomatoes are not a new idea. My dad was growing them when I was a child 40 years ago. In New Zealand they're called super toms. When I first started growing tomatoes here I didn't understand why they were so weedy looking.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:35:28 »
On our allottments almost all other tomatoes are showing signs of blight. I only started an allottment last year when we lost our tied cottage,greenhouse and garden. We now live in a flat with no garden and I find that on the allottments many holders get problems but do nothing about it so we all end up with the same thing. I did spray my potatoes but almost all others went down with blight.

my home sown ungrafted tomatoes, alicante, strillo and ferline are also blight free but have tremendous amounts of fruits on them. Alicante and ferline fruits are large, I would say 2-6 to a pound, some are very satisfyingly large. Ferline are getting red and are both indoors and out. The others are only under basic polythene shelter. Strillo are small fruits but there are a lot and they are in proces of being picked

I am in somerset and it has rained fit to bust

I am not bragging or anything like that, just trying to get my head around the so called benefits of grafted, as they were heavily marketed. I am quickly learning that new ideas and varieties are not always the best

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 21:01:18 »
I am trying two grafted varieties this year. Elegance and Conchita. Both are doing better than my alicante and gardeners delight. The conchita are a cherry variety with loads of small toms on a truss and they are just starting to ripen. The elegance is a bigger, chunkier plant with thick leaves and lots of big toms that have not started to turn red yet.

The plants are a bit more expensive, but for small gardens, or poor summers they bump up your crop.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 15:15:47 »
I have elegance (grafted) this year. Last year I had conchita (grafted) it got started fruiting early and absolutely drowned me in tomatoes was still going when I pulled it out in November. I find the plant can also support a few side shoots so it doesn't matter if you miss removing some also just stop it growing when you feel it's big enough not when there is a set number of trusses.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal