Author Topic: Allotments In Swindon, Wiltshire  (Read 6220 times)

swindonallotment

Allotments In Swindon, Wiltshire
« on: June 13, 2011, 13:02:18 »
Hi,

If you are interested in getting an allotment in the Swindon, Wiltshire area, then please take 5 mins to complete this survey below:

http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=NIDLML_863877ba

Many thanks

Andy

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Allotments In Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 13:08:43 »
Welcome to A4A swindonallotment .

Just outside Swindon myself.  Though I do know they opened a new site at Crowdys Hill last year so plots were available then. 

I wish you success with your endevours.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:56:20 »
Bumping this for Andy.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 12:11:04 »
Welcome to A4A swindonallotment .

Just outside Swindon myself.  Though I do know they opened a new site at Crowdys Hill last year so plots were available then. 

I wish you success with your endevours.

Crowdie's is technically fully let ATM but there are several very unkempt plots and the management have said that there will probably be some enforced termionations (or whatever they call them) soon... Good luck with getting a plot, I was lucky that Crowdie's reopened as I moved to Swindon and given their rather Byzantine rules (dunno if they're still in force) I was able to get a plot quickly... The site has endemic onion white rot though, and pigeons like an ostrich with the ability to fly....

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 13:08:48 »
For an Allotment, contact                          The Allotments Officer at the Swindon council offices.
As Criscross as said the council are at the moment targeting non cultivated plots and I no that 4 plots are up to be re let on my small site alone. Council rents are yearly.

Swindon Allotments and Leisure Gardens Association (SALGA) have a monthly meeting at Gorse Hill Community Centre 3rd Thursday in the month.  The talks are varied not all gardening.  They run various trips throughout the year.  There's an allotments shop which supplies various gardening items.  You don't have to have an allotment to join, just an interest in gardening related subjects.
SALGA is a registered charity so the joining fee is very small  ;D. 
We are to have our own website soon.  www.salga.org.uk

swindonallotment

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 19:51:29 »
I have had a few responses but please keep them coming.
A :D

swindonallotment

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 20:20:40 »
There must be more of you that would like an allotment in Swindon?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 20:41:25 »
What is the maximum you would be willing to pay monthly  for an allotment space of 125 square metres?
 No more than £10 Per Month    No more than £20 Per Month
 No more than £30 Per Month    No more than £40 Per Month
 No more than £50 Per Month    No more than £60 Per Month

You're expecting to charge your allotmenteers between £24 and £144 per pole!  Holy sh1t on a stick.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 21:30:44 »
I think if you think that people will pay a mininum of £10 a month for a half size plot you are seriously out of touch.  So that would be £240 per year for a full plot.

This does sound like a commercial enterprise - hopefully doomed to failure. 

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 22:12:20 »
as far as I'm aware, but I stand to be corrected as I cant find last Sept bill.
half plot  £25 per year approx = £2 per month ish.  On my site that's 15 ft by 60 ft approx  Water included in the yearly rent.
full plot   £45 per year approx = £3.75     "         "      "    "   "          "   30ft by  60 ft    "
some one else will have to do the maths  ;D ::)
That includes 3 water tanks between 20 plots.  In the last few years we have had a new road laid/new water tanks/new gates and we get wood chippings delivered free for paths and mulching.  I no ours are not the cheapest plots,(nor are they the most expensive going on past surveys) but for what we get I've no complaints.
I must admit when I saw the monthly projections you seem to be hoping to get my reaction was the same as unwashed.  I would be very interested to no what you are intending to give your clients for that sort of money.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 23:10:17 »
As far as I can tell from exchanging PMs, Andy's doing this for non-commercial reasons.  As I understand it, he's just taking soundings at the moment - the organisation isn't set up yet.  He modified the survey when I expressed data protection concerns about some of the questions so I think he's acting in good faith.

Andy, what you can get here is an idea of what people pay/would pay, what facilities they have/would like etc and lots of stuff about running/managing a site.  However, I doubt that there's a lot of Swindon residents here and the few that there are probably already have plots.  To get exposure you need to get the word out locally - put up posters in libraries/leisure centres/corner shops/schools etc. etc.; attend local events, school fetes, stand outside local garden centres; try and get something in the local paper. There are many ways of getting people to complete your survey, you just need to get creative.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 23:49:09 »
Newspaper --  Evening Advertiser  would be the one to run an articule in.
Theres been several articules in the past few years on the lack of allotments in certain areas of Swindon.  They would be a good starting point.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal