Author Topic: Raised beds - alternatives to wood?  (Read 2375 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Raised beds - alternatives to wood?
« on: June 01, 2011, 15:16:03 »
I have never been a big fan of raised beds but can see there value in certain circumstances. I am going to make one to plant some blueberries and cranberries and put in ericacious compost as my soil is not acid.
I want it to be a permanent feature Are there alternatives to wood (that will rot) to make them and if so how does one join them together?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Raised beds - alternatives to wood?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 16:44:42 »
Plastic fascia boards will fit the bill!

Expensive initially but will last!

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 17:05:02 »
I have come across discarded plastic road barrier boards with red and white stripes, which would do.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 17:21:54 »
Bricks  ?

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 17:56:22 »

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/Kleftiwallah/IMG_3256.jpg

Here is a corner of one of mine,  made from paving slabs (flags) on edge and held in position with an angle iron rim,edge or collar.   A lot thinner than sleepers, no nasty chemicals and easy to weed and pick crops.  :o  Cheers,   Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 18:19:27 »
In the past there have been many alternatives to wood. One that comes to mind is the old kerbings from when they used to change them. and you just stack them like dry stone walls.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

picman

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 19:20:14 »
Kleftiwallah  That looks like a great design,  we used concrete gravel boards (6'x1'), two high in slotted shortened concrete posts, beds are 12' x 6' ,  they are lasting well (5yrs) expensive but we had lottery money help.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 00:15:18 »
If you don't mind having a battered bed (sloping about 60deg to horizontal) then lots of things can be used:

1) Stapled magazines will consolidate into something like artificial slates after being damp for a few days. Better used 2 or 3 thick. Glossies work best, newspapers take a lot longer to consolidate, though a 'palisade' of sticks can be pushed into the soil behind them to keep them in place while this happens.

2) Old slates or tiles are even better of course.

3) 2L PET bottles filled with water and placed upright (and sloping) side by side (I use these mainly for ends of beds when I run out of 4ft planks).

Hope this helps (reuse, recycle, re-think).

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:25:57 »
I like the look of your raised bed George Kleftiwallah but how are your shins?  I think I would bump into it too often.

hightower

• Not So New ...
    • Slim Jim's Allotment
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 12:50:32 »
We opted for wood as we've just pulled down an old pigeon loft which left loads of wood to be reused. Last night we built our first raised bed, and I have to admit it was a doddle. Dug 8 holes for the supports, and sunk them in, and then just nailed the planks onto the posts. Took us about an hour to build one bed, and I'm chuffed with the outcome. Hardest part is going to be obtaining the top soil to fill it!

Pics can be seen at my blog in my sig.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 13:04:13 »
Something that is used a lot here, but maybe harder to find in the UK are old roller blinds! All flats here have them, they are PVC and usually come apart into wide planks about 20 cm high. I use them to edge some of the plot and the rest is done with old roof tiles! I don't have raised beds but I like to section parts off to make it neater and aid rotation.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Ofer

• Not So New ...
    • Easy enviro gardening products
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 06:37:43 »
''Easy Enviro Raised Beds'', Sounds like what can help you, It is long lasting heavy duty plastic board that is flexible- comes as a roll.

you can and it is easy to shape it to any shape you like, screw it to wooden or plastic stakes.
Fantastic

Start from 19.99 only for 5.2metreX 22cm
but avaliable at several sizes.

look at best4garden.co.uk , the chap there is very helpful.
Yours

Ofer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal