Author Topic: Pumpkin Pickle  (Read 2859 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Pumpkin Pickle
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:41:32 »
Hi, I've been trying to find a good recipe for pumpkin pickle, I have a couple of winter squash I want to use, and came across a copy of Jamie Oliver's South Indian Pumpkin Pickle, which sounds great, but I'm trying to figure out the quantities.
Here's the recipe, but what is 2 1.2 C of sugar and 1 1.2 C cider vinegar mean?? Is this a cup?

Thanks  :)

Homemade South Indian Pumpkin Pickle
ingredients
• 2 T vegetable oil
• 1 tsp each mustard and fenugreek seeds
• 2 medium red onions, finely sliced
• 3 garlic cloves, grated
• 1 in piece of fresh ginger, grated
• 1 tbsp each ground coriander, ground cumin and turmeric
• 14 oz can of chopped tomatoes
• Grated zest and juice of 6 limes
• 1 1/2 – 2 C cider vinegar
• 2 green chillies, halved and deseeded
• 1 lb deseeded pumpkin
• 1½ tsp salt
• 2 1/2 C brown sugar
makes 1 quart
•   Sterilize a 1-quart pickling jar. Wash the jar and lid (removing the rubber seal) in warm, soapy water, rinse, then place in the oven and heat at 225F for about 30 minutes. Immerse the rubber seal in a pan of boiling water and simmer for about 10 minutes before turning the heat off and allowing to cool.
•   Heat the oil in a saucepan that’s big enough to hold all the ingredients.
•   When it’s smoking hot, add the mustard and fenugreek seeds – they should start to pop right away.
•   Stir in the onion, garlic and ginger, turn the heat down and cook slowly, stirring, till the mixture is dark brown and smells fantastic.
•   Add the spices, stir-fry for a minute or so, then add the tomatoes. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for a few minutes.
•   Add the lime zest.
•   Pour the lime juice into a measuring jug and fill up to 2 cups with cider vinegar.
•   Pour into the pan, add the chillies and pumpkin, and bring back to the boil.
•   Pat the seal of the jar dry with kitchen paper, fit it back onto the lids and have the jar standing by.
•   When the pumpkin is just cooked, lift it out with a slotted spoon into a clean mixing bowl and set aside.
•   Add the salt and sugar to the pan, and continue cooking till the liquid is reduced and thick.
•   Fold the pumpkin back into the mix, making sure it’s nice and hot before turning the heat off.
•   Spoon the pumpkin pickle into the sterilized jar while everything’s still hot. Wipe the rim of the jar and seal it. Leave to cool, and it will be ready to eat in a few weeks’ time.

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
Re: Pumpkin Pickle
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 12:47:10 »
Hi 1066,

It is all a bit confusing but this may help:

Liquids
1 cup = 8 fl oz/240 ml

Brown sugar
1 cup = 7 oz/200 grams

Here is a link to a great online cooking coverter which I find useful, especially if you get some lovely recipes from friends abroad.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking

Happy chutneying  :)

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 12:48:01 »
PS that sounds a mighty fine recipe too, let us know how it turns out.  ;D

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:54:03 »
thanks for that, I think the problem is that the recipe was originally in English measurements, then has been converted for the US market, and now I'm converting back  ::)

The sugar seems ok, but for a cup and a half of vinegar it looks like 12 floz .

It does look like a good recipe, I might play around with the flavourings - I love mustard seeds and fenugeek, so will take it from there  :)

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 13:02:53 »
I think that sounds about right, I made mango chutney on Saturday night and I think I used about that amount of vinegar, and about a quarter of pint of water.

Definitely play around with the flavour I'm not very good at sticking to a recipe, I always seem to put in chilli flakes, I sometimes put in cinnamon sticks and cloves...or what ever I have in the cupboard.

I am sure it will be a great success. :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 00:29:12 »
A US cup takes 8 fluid ounces which is very close to 250 ml. A teaspoon is 5ml and a tablespoon is 15ml

You know the best way to deal with recipes like this is to go to Tescos or Sainsburys and buy a set of measuring cups and follow the recipe without trying to figure it out beyond that. They were very cheap when I taught "cup  cooking" in school over there about three years ago . So many recipes these days have changed to cups it is a good idea to have a set.

The difference is so slight it is matterless, I have both and  use them the same.

Also check your recipe, it is puzzling me, it calls for 2T of oil..the T being the abbreviation of tablespoon, but further on it is calling for tbsps of various herbs..tbsp is also an abbreviation of tablespoon but it is odd to see both vesrion in one recipe.. be careful the second one is not tsp  which is  the abbreviation for teaspoon!!..

I have a fairly big collection of relish, chutney and pickle recipes if you get stuck

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 06:40:06 »
Thanks Jeannine, you know one day I will get round to getting some cup measures!!
the recipe is confusing, with it's mixture of measurements, so I'm pleased I checked. Herbs and spices I'm fine with, it's the liquids I wonder about. anyway, will be making it sometime this week so I'll let you know how I get on  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:35:47 »
Let me know if there is still anything confusing and  I will decipher it for youXX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 15:03:59 »
Thanks Jeannine, all looks ok so far. Just have to wait a few weeks before I can try it out  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal