Author Topic: Does Mulching increase slug damage  (Read 8745 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Does Mulching increase slug damage
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 19:52:10 »
A lot of people dig grass cuttings and dead leaves in during the winter, but I'm the only one who uses fresh stuff as mulch in serious quantities. I think a lot of it's force of tradition. Changing gardening methods seems to be rather hard!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 20:04:20 »
Like you Robert I am the only one on site who uses grass clippings.  The paths were mown and there was a huge pile and I had a lot of it.  Three days later I had the rest.  I hate seeing bare soil.   Once it has heated up in the dalek most things are pretty dead.

After yesterdays rain any bare soil is already bone dry. 

Saw some grass clippings on a compost heap yesterday and it was covered in amazing stripped snails including green ones.  Never seen so many stripped snails.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 20:17:54 »
I use fresh clippings too.. ;D I actually have couple of little lawn areas in lottie..around 2 very big apple trees. I could not grow much else there so why not grass..after all, it is a crop for me. We also mow the grass on avenues around our plots and I get more of the good stuff.. ;)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 22:08:56 »
That's great to know. I was a little cautious because I don't see it done round this way, and I had heard that it would take nitrates when it breaks down before giving them back or some such thing... However if you lot are doing it, I will keep going!  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 22:15:20 »
Code: [Select]
I had heard that it would take nitrates when it breaks down Err..nitrogen.. ;) You get round this by putting some chicken pellets or other form of fertilizer on top of soil first..then the grass..and as you top up with grass the previous layer will release the nitrogen for the new stuff.
But saying that I've ofter forgotten to do fertilize first..and haven't had any problems with nitrogen robbing.
Usually it is more associated with more woody stuff. Grass do 'rot' that quickly that you are topping it up quite often anyway.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 22:27:28 »
I use the fresh stuff as well Pigeonseed - no probs so far  :) The only problem is getting enough of it !

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 14:40:35 »
Thanks for info.

I added loads of fresh and partially composted stuff again today, just enough for a collar around the squash, beans and cucs atm. But it helps protect them from the wind as well as keeping moisture in I hope.

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 16:16:53 »
I have used fresh lawn mowing (straight from the box) for around 10 years now, and all seems ok.  To be honest there is no way I could garden without doing this.

This year 2 of the onion beds got left (not enough mowings) and the weeds got higher than the onions.  Now I have started weeding the weeds are FULL of great big fat juicy slugs, so I reckon lawnmowings are better than weeds.

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 16:34:05 »
I let mine heat up for three days before I use them when I know there is a lot of weed in them.  I am always amazed at how hot they get and how quickly it happens.

I have been using phacelia and fat hen as well as recylced compost and straw, as you say there are just not enough grass clippings.   Tried shredded paper but it blew all over the place.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 11:29:19 »
Actually, most slugs arent damaged by mulch, and the ones that are heal quickly in hospital   ::)   :P
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2011, 13:17:29 »
Would be interested in what everyone uses to mulch. I use compost/manure when I have it but never have enough. Have tried newspaper (flat around plants) and also shredded but as Digeroo said - it doesnt stay put.

I also water and then put dry earth on top to stop evaporation. Would love to hear what others do - do you buy in stuff?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2011, 13:54:28 »
Yesterday I spent an hour for mulching. I managed to get good amount of various green stuff together by cutting soft growth from hedges, grass clipping, strimming all kind of weeds around my plot boundaries..I ran the mower over it all and had several barrow fulls of the stuff..lovely.. ;D
And because it had bit of woody stuff mixed in as well, I gave my plants bit of commercial farm yard manure  ;)
Paper is fine but you do need to dip it bucket of water before putting in on and perharps weight it down with some other stuff as well.
I don't buy any mulch stuff in at all..though I've got chickens as well, so I get 'stuff' from their bedding as well and I do buy that stuff.
I used to buy some straw..but now that there is not many farmers around here who would bale their straw into small bales, I've not bothered anymore..

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal