Author Topic: Peony's, how to get them on the cheap i.e. for free :)  (Read 12215 times)

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
Peony's, how to get them on the cheap i.e. for free :)
« on: June 04, 2011, 22:07:00 »
Ive recently fallen in love with Peony's.  Ive always liked the flower but i didnt realise how gorgeous they smell till my new neighbour gave me a bunch of her light pink 1's which have filled my living room with a gorgeous sent all day.  Ive had a look on T&M's website & they aren't exactly the cheapest of plants to buy (or am i just really stingy?? lol)  Do they seed??  Can you root them from cuttings??  is there any legal way to get a peony bush for free?? cheers guys
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Peony's, how to get them on the cheap i.e. for free :)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 07:29:00 »
Hi

I know that you can divide herbaceous peonies. One day your neighbour might have to divide her peony ;D
Also look out for them in B&Q they sometimes sell them cheaper than the garden centers.
Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 07:36:37 »
I've seen them in Wikies & other shops for under £2. I think it was one called Sarah Bernhard. Our local supermarket, B&Q & Quality Save has a display stand with bulbs etc at different times of the year & it's in there. They are a beautiful flower. My mum always had the deep red one in her garden. The grandchildren used to clap their hands as they were just coming to an end, to see all the petals drop. I'm sure someone with propagation knowledge will help you out with the other way of doing it.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:48:07 »
It sounds like the paeony you were fiven was Sarah Bernhardt, it is my favourite :)  I can't help on the propagation either but once they have finished flowering you might find one cheaper in a garden centre.  Our local Wyevale has a table with things past their best at a reduced price, Homebase can be good for that too.  Hope you get one, they are beautiful.  Failing that ask for one as a present.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 10:33:55 »
one of our local Nurseries has a really good selection of peonies at £3 each, which is cheap as chips, so keep looking around, I guess, and like Tulipa says, look for special offers when they've finished flowering and nobody wants to buy

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 10:50:02 »
To get an idea of what's available, have a look at http://www.binnyplants.com/Catalogue_FastSearchResults.asp?Search=Q&Category=1. Binny Plants have the most incredible selection. I was at Gardening Scotland on Friday and their display was breathtaking. Probably a bit on the pricey side for what you're wanting but it just lets you see what's out there!

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:41:59 »
Peonies are a good investment because they live forever (50+ years!) and are extremely tough.  That's why you see them in old and neglected gardens. Although they can be divided they don't really need it and may sulk afterwards, they are best left undisturbed, unless the clump begins to lose vigour. So maybe ask your neighbour tactfully  ;)

If you want scent, be aware that not all forms are fragrant.  (Sarah Bernhardt is.)

Other possible mail order companies:

http://www.kelways.co.uk/categories/peonies/1/

http://www.claireaustin-hardyplants.co.uk/

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:16:31 »
I love them too. I got a few from pound shops as well. They're only just getting established, otherwise I'd offer to try dividing them for you, but they're too young and weedy.

I hope you spy a cheap one soon!

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 20:16:52 »
Peonies are a good investment because they live forever (50+ years!) and are extremely tough.  That's why you see them in old and neglected gardens. Although they can be divided they don't really need it and may sulk afterwards, they are best left undisturbed, unless the clump begins to lose vigour.

If you want scent, be aware that not all forms are fragrant.  (Sarah Bernhardt is).

i didn't know that Sarah Bernhardt was fragrant. mine has been in a big terracotta pot for the past 6 yrs and it's never flowered for me. i know that i should have planted it in the ground (have a tiny flowerbed) but this autumn, it'll get moved to the lotti instead.

i've always wanted a 'Duchesse de Nemours', another recommended fragrant one but it was a bit pricy when i finally saw one at a recent plant fair (£15!)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 22:18:22 »
Try http://www.phedar.com/catalog/ . He's excellent for seed, mostly species. Be patient; they usually come up in the second spring after planting, and take several years to reach flowering size. I lost most of the seedlings I had coming along in pots during the freeze last winter. Infuriating!

antsinmipants

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 08:50:31 »
Peony's definitely produce seed pods  :)
The night was dark....they usually are!......Laurel & Hardy

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 21:18:32 »
Peony's definitely produce seed pods  :)

Ive seen some on my route to school that have already lost their flowers & it looked like they had seeds on them but i wasnt 100% sure.  When would be the best time to collect the seed pods?
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 22:25:42 »
The last time I moved mine, it took 5 yrs before they flowered again.  They don't like being moved.  However will you be going to Betty's open day at Walsall Road this year?  If I can make it I will bring a couple to tubers/corms with me (we have met - bought the children cake last year).

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 00:14:24 »
The most common way to propagate Paeonies is by division but they can also be produced from seed.

This link might help; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Paeony/Paeony.htm

Click on pics to enlarge!

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 14:34:10 »
The last time I moved mine, it took 5 yrs before they flowered again.  They don't like being moved.  However will you be going to Betty's open day at Walsall Road this year?  If I can make it I will bring a couple to tubers/corms with me (we have met - bought the children cake last year).

Hi Lottie, yes i remember you.  I was thinking about it yes.  We had a fun afternoon last year even with the rain! That would be be great & really kind of you.  I'll keep an eye out for dates.

Tee Gee, ill have a look at that website & see how the magic is created.  How old will the plant be b4 flowering? (i can be quite impatiant lol.

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 14:39:28 »
i've always wanted a 'Duchesse de Nemours', another recommended fragrant one but it was a bit pricy when i finally saw one at a recent plant fair (£15!)

They aren't cheep!  Ive seen some on the websites that every1 has recomended going for £80!!!  Ive seen a couple i quite fancy on T&M's website but they are £15 each or i can try my luck & get a mystery bag of 3 different varities for £19.99.  but knowing my luck they won't be the 1's that i like lol, i might treat myself later in the year closer to my birthday.

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 15:11:45 »
£80!!!!

They must be rare and special. I was more thinking of 'expensive but worth it' around the £10-15 mark. I'm sure that's what I paid for mine.

Good luck with the hunt!

PS Just had a quick look on crocus and they have some in the sale:

http://crocus.co.uk/search/_/search.peony/?s=peony

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 16:03:02 »
How old will the plant be b4 flowering? (i can be quite impatiant lol.

A bit will depend upon if it is bare rooted or containerised.

For example;

I wouldn't expect any flowers from a bare rooted planted for perhaps a couple of years at best.

With a containerised one you might get the odd one or two flowers next year.

Flower quantity generally goes with maturity i.e. more flowers as it gets older!

This one is over twenty years old and it thrives on neglect!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 16:40:02 »
I've had some that flowered the year after I moved them, one that took several years (and is now the best I have, a deep red with golden centres), and several that haven't flowered yet. The latter probably need moving.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 16:54:47 »
I wouldn't expect any flowers from a bare rooted planted for perhaps a couple of years at best.

I planted one recently and was just wondering when it would flower.  Seems I will have to wait a bit longer. :( 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal