Author Topic: Tips on buying a new greenhouse  (Read 2368 times)

Bips

Tips on buying a new greenhouse
« on: June 03, 2011, 16:03:14 »
Hi guys! I am about to buy a new greenhouse, but not too sure on which is best. I have had a quick look on the website and saw one called the Rhino. Has anyone heard of this greenhouse or can you suggest any other make? I am thinking of getting an 8 x 10. I would welcome your views.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Tips on buying a new greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 16:10:33 »
Get the biggest one that you can squeeze in and at least a size bigger than you can make plans for or sensibly afford.... also look at ebay, the bigger ones frequently go for the same prices as the smaller more popular ones.

Size matters, the bigger they are the easier they are to thermoregulate, so also look at plenty of vents./..

I ended up with a 20x10 I bought secondhand and it owes me around 400 quid I think, thoguh I might get some back selling some of the spare vents as it was used as an alpine house so it was almost all vent.....

Auto-watering and autoventing are very useful, buy them in that order, a timer control on the watering or fill a water-butt adn let it drain through....

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 20:24:31 »
Our communal greenhouse is a rhino,fantastic but pricey, we got it as our old one was falling to bits and we had special needs groups and children working on site  :)

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 15:58:42 »
I purchased mine from the greenhouse people and i have to say i got a great service, haggled a little on the price and got some freebies added for good luck. check them out on line - no relationship to the company only that i love my greenhouse  :)

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 18:43:31 »
I have the smaller Rhino. Rock solid, and toughened glass. It's about 6 years old, and I've had no problems with it. I don't regret going for the extra vents, auto-vent openers, and integral staging tho' it seemed extravagant at the time.

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 14:02:21 »
I've had mine three years now - I got a Robinsons 8 x 8 - two louvre vents and two auto opening roof vents from the greenhouse people.  We've had two of the worst winters for the last 30 years, with force 10 winds - and it is rock solid.  Would highly recommend.

Meg

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 20:12:33 »
I have just had a Robinsons Royale 12' X 8' from Nick Paice at Garden Buildings Chesterfield. I got Free Installation with the package and I must say I am highly delighted. The free installation took the worry out of it and the two guys really knew their stuff. Well worth the money my dad had a Robinsons greenhouse for more than 25 years that was the reason I choose it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 20:16:35 by plot22 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal