Author Topic: Sedum Purple Emperor  (Read 1520 times)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Sedum Purple Emperor
« on: June 02, 2011, 14:22:20 »
I bought this lovely plant from local nursery the other day  , but when I,d got home discovered that some of it must have fallen off it on the way home  . It now only has four stems on it .  I was wondering if I were to prune it  ,would it respond and put up new shoots ?   I have only grown the usual green variety  before ,which it seems you can do anything with ..but I have a feeling this one might be more fussy . It was blooming expensive ,so I,m blooming annoyed ! 
Trespassers will be composted !

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Sedum Purple Emperor
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 16:05:39 »
Presumably the roots haven't fallen off, so it'll soon recover. You could pinch out the tips if you wanted, then put it in a decent-sized pot and mollycoddle it for a while.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 17:13:39 »
I think sedum was a plant that responded well to the 'Chelsea Chop'. I could be wrong though ::).

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 19:37:37 »
Well it I planted what was left of it, out as soon as I got home . I think it had also been over watered and actualy looks better after these few days of dry weather , it has gorgeous bluey , purple leaves, but I want it to be more bushy . The stems that are left, are flopped over and lying flat on the ground .
  Hallo Granny janny ,did you get your seeds ok  ? What is the Chelsea chop ?    :)
Trespassers will be composted !

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 19:49:17 »
Hi WP.
Certain plants respond well to a trim around Chelsea time. I think if you do it to a sedum it stops them flopping later on. You can also use the bits as cuttings. Sedum root very easily in water. Someone will put me right if needed but I think you take off 1/3rd of the plant & it makes it bushier. If you google Chelsea chop it will explain it & which plants that can be Chelsea chopped ;D.
Thank you. The seeds did arrive, I PM you.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal