Author Topic: Dry Horse Manure  (Read 5261 times)

janetannjames

Dry Horse Manure
« on: May 28, 2011, 16:59:02 »
Collected two trailer loads of horse/pony manure last weekend. It's quite fresh - not rotted and dosen't smell at all - but it is very dry probably because we haven't had any appreciable rain here for the last three months. I have stacked it two of the pallet compost bins. Should I just leave it to rot down or should it be watered as it is so dry. The two heaps have already started "shrinking". Any suggestions gratefully  received.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Dry Horse Manure
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 17:25:55 »
I'd leave it be, but then I'm no poo expert.    :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

GeeGee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 15:43:20 »
Five horses, but not exactly a poo expert when it comes to turning to to manure.

However, from experience of poo picking the paddocks during the summer. When the poo has been there for a few days in the heat it really dries up and has no substance to it. It literally breaks up and turns into dusty little clumps.

I did start doing some research when I found we had finally got our allotment and, according to the experts it has to be kept warm and damp to turn into proper manure. It also has to be aerated either by turning with a fork or by the static method of sticking something like plastic pipes with holes drilled in them to get the air through and keep the heat going. The site I was reading (sorry can't remember which one it is at the mo) said cover it with matting, tarpaulin or thick plastic to keep heat in, rain off (because if it gets too wet it won't work either) and then if it gets too dry water it. Apparently the texture should be pliable and keep its shape if you squeeze it, but it should not be too wet and ooze water when you squeeze. Site also suggested a compost thermometer to check the poo was kept at an ambient temperature of around 70 degrees F.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 17:50:18 »
That sounds more like instructions for making a cake ;D ;D ;D.

GeeGee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 03:06:24 »
 :o  You got me!

Don't tell the other half though - he still thinks he's eating chocolate gateaux.  ;D  ;D  ;D

GeeGee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 03:14:44 »
I'll be honest I haven't tried it yet because as I said in another post the darn farmer keeps coming along and removing our horsey poo before we have a chance to get it going.

I'm going to out smart him though!  ;)

I've bought some really tough black bags and am going to move it as soon as it is cleared from the paddocks straight to the allotment and then 'process' it there.

OH was delighted when I told him.  ;D ;D

The car could well smell delightful if I don't bag it properly and to date I have not persuaded him to let me collect any.  :(

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:50:46 »
Personally i would just turn it into the soil and let nature do the rest. I have not got the space to have big stacks of poo everywhere!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

GeeGee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 15:05:36 »
Good idea antipodes. Though shouldn't it be reasonably well rotted if a crop is going to be planted directly after? I only ask because my dad would never use manure unless it was well rotted due to it 'burning' the plants. To be honest I'm not an expert on horsey poo as manure. I kept out of the garden when I was young, when dad had the stuff around because I considered it smelt disgusting!  ;D So not sure exactly how, where and when he used it. I just went back into the garden to help when the smell had gone! Now I clear it out of stables and off paddocks on a regular basis. It's funny how things change as you grow!  ;D

Should've been more observant when I was young I guess then I would've know more!  :P

At the mo I have plenty of space - two plots worth!!!! All with old cereal crop and weeds and stones and flints to clear, so have loads of room at the mo to play with my horsey poo.  ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 14:22:13 »
Well, I have never had a problem with that, unless you really plant directly into the poo! If it's going to be dug into the soil, it should be OK, otherwise you will have to really cover it and leave it several months, you might as well start getting some use out of it! I regularly mulch with stable waste that has fresh manure in it, it never causes any problems and breaks down into the soil pretty quickly. It does pong a bit at first though  ;D Soon stops.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

GeeGee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 17:42:53 »
antipode

Thank you for the advice. I must admit I only remember the advice from my dad from years ago when I was very young, so I could've got it wrong or misunderstood exactly what he meant.

That is it then!  ;D I shall be down to the yard with my black bags collecting every last ounce of poo I can lay my hands on and dragging it up to the allotment. OH is going to love me! He only got a brand new car last week!  :o

I might be kind and use the daughter's car. Hers normally has a very health whiff of eau de equine in it, so a little extra horsey poo in the boot won't hurt!  ;D

Actually, and don't say I'm weird,  :o but I really do not mind the smell of horsey poo. The urine is a totally different matter and I make whoever has been down to the yard to muck out, walk straight into the shower room before they are allowed anywhere in the house.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal