Author Topic: Does Mulching increase slug damage  (Read 8708 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Does Mulching increase slug damage
« on: May 28, 2011, 08:47:00 »
I use a lot of mulch and actively encourage certain weeds for mulching and composting and have lot of phacelia.  Do you think this encourages slugs and snails?

Is this the reason for all the bare soil?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Does Mulching increase slug damage
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 09:30:30 »
I hope not, we mulch as much as we can, everyone on our site has slug probs , even the people with no weeds,  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 09:39:18 »
 ;D Ohh..Digeroo..I think you 'opened can of worms' and a good debate..
Well I suppose mulch will provide damp hidind places for the slugs..but then again...it encourages birds to come and scratch for tasty treats and other predators too.
Personally I find more benefits from mulching than not doing it. And haven't had any moore or less slug trouble then before my mulching days.
And as for 'encouraging weeds'..absolutely beneficial..but very selective 'encouragement'..
Without 'weeds' and mulches I could not grow my veg the way I do now..my plot might not be for everybody's taste and certainly bare soil is not what I'm aiming for...but I only need to look over the hedge to otherside and see how things are grown 'properly' and how much trouble they and their plants are getting with pests and excess work involved keeping things 'so tidy'... ::) err..more like keeping things growing/alive..
I'm still amused about other year when their brassicas were like lace work after cabbage butterflies had their 'dinner' and I hadly had a visitor on mine...I stopped counting how many bottles of 'spray' they got through with little effect... ::)
At the begining you may have some slug trouble but soon the nature balances the pest and predator situation.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:46:18 by goodlife »

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:53:16 »
;D Ohh..Digeroo..I think you 'opened can of worms' and a good debate..
Well I suppose mulch will provide damp hidind places for the slugs..but then again...it encourages birds to come and scratch for tasty treats and other predators too.
Personally I find more benefits from mulching than not doing it. And haven't had any moore or less slug trouble then before my mulching days.
And as for 'encouraging weeds'..absolutely beneficial..but very selective 'encouragement'..
Without 'weeds' and mulches I could not grow my veg the way I do now..my plot might not be for everybody's taste and certainly bare soil is not what I'm aiming for...but I only need to look over the hedge to otherside and see how things are grown 'properly' and how much trouble they and their plants are getting with pests and excess work involved keeping things 'so tidy'... ::) err..more like keeping things growing/alive..
I'm still amused about other year when their brassicas were like lace work after cabbage butterflies had their 'dinner' and I hadly had a visitor on mine...I stopped counting how many bottles of 'spray' they got through with little effect... ::)
At the begining you may have some slug trouble but soon the nature balances the pest and predator situation.

I have to say I have been organic/naturally growing for about 25 years now at the same house, and although some pests/predators have found their natural balance I still suffer badly with those little white ground living slugs.

In the past I used nematodes, but 4 years ago I decided to give up those in the hope that nature would balance itself as it has in some of the other problem areas.  I have to report now there is still some bad damage, to the extent I have just ordered nematodes again

My garden is toad/frog friendly.  I have hedgehogs, and let my ducks in when I can, but yet again they are DESTROYING the asparagus, to the extent they kill the plants, and any new replacements are eaten in the first year.  Out of 3 large 25x4ft beds I have had about 5 meals, and they were started 2 years after the garden, so over 20 years now.

Also my greens last year where not like lacework with cabbage whites they where just veins and stumps.

Yours (in sadness)
Sue

PS I forgot to add all my beds are mulched and my meadows are unsprayed and generally left for hay.
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

picman

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 09:23:04 »
The only things I know that eats slugs is Hedgehogs and possibly Thrushes... 

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 09:58:59 »
The only things I know that eats slugs is Hedgehogs and possibly Thrushes... 

I read somewhere that hedgehogs will eat slugs, but they prefer most other things first. 

Toads definitely eat slugs - one year with a particularly bad "big" slug problem I lifted a stone to find an enormous toad looking particularly bloated and with no intention of moving sitting next to a half eaten slug (! I couldn't eat another mouthful if I tried!!)

Ducks positively adore slugs, I have a small flock of the cutest pom-pom ducks, but I am not sure how to post photos on this site.   And apparently those big ground beetles eat slugs, and I think newts.

Do mice eat slugs? And what about grass snakes and slow-worms  Anyone know?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 10:26:03 »
I think lot of birds eat small slugs..I've certainly seen robins and sparrow taking some..sometimes I put some on bird table with few worms and other things when I come across them...its nice to sit down and see birds coming for them.
It is those really BIG ones that are not eaten by many..but then again..those are not really problem for plants anyway. Majority of them are feeding on dead plant matter anyway.
Yep mouse and shrews eat insects, slugs and snails.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:33:56 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:34:47 »
Good list of slug and snail eating predators..
http://www.haywardm.supanet.com/predators.html

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:36:55 »
Pigs seem to eat slugs and do a very good job.  But unfortunately they eat everything else as well.

I am trying to understand why people do not mulch,  why they pour on loads of water but do nothing to minimise evaporation.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 11:44:00 »
Code: [Select]
I am trying to understand why people do not mulch Ahh..that's why the question.
Well..some are simply not bothered, too much work.. ::) , ingnorance, lack of knowlelge or not able to acess to muching material easily enough (or that's what they think).
I think with lot people it comes down to getting them to try first..trying, seeing and believing is the order.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 12:27:32 »
I am starting to win with a few.  But I keep being told about the slugs.  But actually the advantages for feeding hedgehogs might pursuade a few to come round.

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 13:58:18 »
Pigs seem to eat slugs and do a very good job.  But unfortunately they eat everything else as well.

I am trying to understand why people do not mulch,  why they pour on loads of water but do nothing to minimise evaporation.

Interestingly one year I collected a lot of those very large wall snails and put them in the pigs pen, and they gobbled them up greedily, next day I did the same, and they wouldn't touch them, so I presume there was something in them that disagreed.

Again one year I collected all the green caterpillars from the cabbage whites on my plants, and threw them to the hens who gobbled them up.   Next day wouldn't look at them, plus I had come out in a nasty rash on my hands!

All the best
Sue

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 14:03:17 »
I think the snails make a frothy discharge when threatened and I have found it affects my skin, maybe the pigs found them unpleasant and learned from that. I squash snails before giving them to the chooks and they seem to like them.  but Chickens are dim compared to pigs.! :-\

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 16:52:40 »
In my garden I throw the slugs I find to the chickens who love them! Don't have them wandering free in the garden as, although they would find the slugs, they would also eat everything else too! I don't know about mulching increasing slug damage. I suppose in theory it is a nice moist environment, but I haven't noticed that much a difference on the plot where we mulch quite a bit.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 20:05:02 »
Snails get a quick crack and a toss over the fence to the chickens..... They seem to enjoy them, even to the point of playing rugby with the bigger ones.... sometimes for ages!  8)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 22:16:07 »
Digeroo/Goodlife said:
I am trying to understand why people do not mulch
Ahh..that's why the question.
Well..some are simply not bothered, too much work..  , ingnorance, lack of knowlelge or not able to acess to muching material easily enough (or that's what they think).

Yes I think not being aware is probably the biggest thing. I only really started mulching veg this year, apart from top-dressing with manure or compost in the past. And it's only because of reading recommendations on this forum.

The slug question... I don't know  :-\. (Like everyone else!) But I do find that if I leave a lot of weeds, then I get more slug damage, and when that happens I usually weed, and find the attacks ease off. However I haven't noticed this is an issue with mulching so far.  :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 10:41:36 »
I was terrified to see how few people on my site mulch. They prefer to hoe and weed 24/7. I have mulched and through the drought, which is very severe here, 2 months without rain practically, I still have good crops and only watering once a week. We don't seem to get slugs ??? But it does provide a hiding place for lizards, mice, beetles etc., but damage seems negligible compared to the benefits.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 17:41:39 »
We get grass cuttings delivered by the ton, and I use the lion's share. I don't understand it either.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 18:39:25 »
I use a lot of mulch and actively encourage certain weeds for mulching and composting and have lot of phacelia.  Do you think this encourages slugs and snails?

Is this the reason for all the bare soil?
I wonder if some people like the look of bare soil, to go with the immaculate rows of veg?  :o
Our site seems split, some mulch some don't.
I'm a self confessed mulcher  ;D and ultimately I don't think it does necessarily encourage slugs, and as others have said it also provides a habitat for other more beneficial creatures. and maybe weeds are worse for providing placefor or encuraging slugs and snails?

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 22:56:39 »
I'd always assumed that they come for all the lush weeds, and while they're there they indescriminately also eat your crops. So mulch might just not be attractive, as it's all dead or dying.

You're lucky to have stuff delivered, Robert. Do you think everyone on site knows what it's for?

Our site is also full of bare soil (or completely overgrown!). Though I've seen someone recently laying newspaper round courgette plants.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal