Author Topic: Whats happened to our garlic!!!  (Read 3830 times)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Whats happened to our garlic!!!
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:59:04 »
Its been in since November...

However on two on the plants and others(but only one new stem growing out),

Am i right in thinking its bolting?, is this because its been rather dry?, should i take out the extra growth?, i hope all is not lost!!.  They were all grown from a supermarket piece(wel a few pieces).  Last year worked really well.

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Whats happened to our garlic!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 13:23:22 »
I'm not sure from your picture what the problem is.... It has a terrific root system, and it is too early for it to bulk up. Is it the narrowness of the leaves? Sorry if I have missed the point.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 13:25:21 »
I'm not sure from your picture what the problem is.... It has a terrific root system, and it is too early for it to bulk up. Is it the narrowness of the leaves? Sorry if I have missed the point.

It seems to have developed lots of hard small new stems,which have started to shoot up

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 13:26:04 »

It seems to have developed lots of hard small new stems,which have started to shoot up, but yes i spose it does have a very good root system

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 13:33:36 »
Most unusual!!

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 15:00:46 »
yes its very strange

JimB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 16:02:24 »
Did plant individual cloves or the bulb?
Its just your photo looks like you didn't split the garlic before planting.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 16:25:59 »
Well figured!!

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 16:27:19 »
Did plant individual cloves or the bulb?
Its just your photo looks like you didn't split the garlic before planting.

individual cloves were planted

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 16:33:20 »
Curiouser & curiouser!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 18:52:56 »
I thought it too early as well but mine are "going over" so I dug one up today and it's proper big and everything!  My mate pulled all of his and they are ready - they are an early type and we are in the South so that may account - I would say its two or three weeks earlier than last year.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 12:24:54 »
i might just keep pulling out the hard stems that are produced

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 14:19:25 »
Looks like your clove is split and developed into individual growing points. That clove would have done the 'split' already last year when it was harvested. Although it may looked to you like individual clove..inside the 'paper' it was already segmented. I bet it is some of the inner cloves from the bulb that has done that.
Is there many of them that has done that?
When I pick my cloves for growing I only use few of the largest ones from the bulb and those usually are on outside edge of the bulb.
If you keep pulling the stems off..you are not achieving really anything. Just let them be..and once the tops are starting to die down..pull the whole lot up..dry them as usual..and next autumn divide them and plant as usual. Next summer you should end up with either bulb (if the 'clove' was large enough) or just one big and fat clove and you can then eat or use for re-planting and then should be able to produce a bulb.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 14:22:49 »
Looks like your clove is split and developed into individual growing points. That clove would have done the 'split' already last year when it was harvested. Although it may looked to you like individual clove..inside the 'paper' it was already segmented. I bet it is some of the inner cloves from the bulb that has done that.
Is there many of them that has done that?
When I pick my cloves for growing I only use few of the largest ones from the bulb and those usually are on outside edge of the bulb.
If you keep pulling the stems off..you are not achieving really anything. Just let them be..and once the tops are starting to die down..pull the whole lot up..dry them as usual..and next autumn divide them and plant as usual. Next summer you should end up with either bulb (if the 'clove' was large enough) or just one big and fat clove and you can then eat or use for re-planting and then should be able to produce a bulb.

Seems to be all of them, ill leave them alone then:)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 15:10:36 »
I've just checked my garlic book for further info..and one other option for your garlic to produce multiple heads is incorrect storage. Not by you..but commercial storage for supermarkets and for use differ for those that are meant for being planting stock. If most of your garlic is behaving like the one in photo then this would be most likely explanation as just selecting segmented cloves would result only odd few 'faulty' ones.
But even then..my advise from last post would be same....you can use them to create your own planting stock that would best suit your soil and location. It only takes couple of years and being selective by what you save for planting you will end up with suberb garlic.. ;)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 16:17:57 »
Thanks for the advise, is it likely the garlic wont grow in to proper size cloves and ok for use?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 16:37:16 »
Oh it is fine to use what ever size it is.. ;D
Those multi headed ones are not going to make much to eat  clove wise so either eat it or save and grow again.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 16:41:47 »
Its a bit of  shame really as grown a whole bed devoted to just garlic.  Ok only cost the price of the garlic in the shops.

Think next year will get it from the shops.  The year before got it from the shops and it did ever so well.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 16:43:30 by notts_phil »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 16:49:47 »
Our garlic went in last sept/oct and won't be ready until a third of the leaves are  going brown which will probably be around end  July begining Aug maybe later. Perhaps you have pulled it too early. Try leaving it in for a couple of months and see what happens
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 16:55:41 »
Yes..it is a shame..but..that's why it is so expensive to buy proper 'seed' garlic as they should be stored correctly and be problem free stock to start with.
Rather than buying new stock every year,,why not invest for once and start saving part of your own stock for 'seed'. I always grow roughly 1/3 more garlic than I use..then I have plenty to choose and pick the best bulbs and cloves for cropping next year. Once you get into habit your will never be without garlic anymore.
I'be grown my garlic from my own bulbs for..ohh..10+ years without problems. Does anybody else in your site grow garlic that maybe could spare few for you to start with?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal