Author Topic: Forecast wrong again  (Read 2015 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Forecast wrong again
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:56:37 »
Forecast for yesterday was 8C (though earlier in the week it had been 6C) but the actual was only 4C so a possibility of a 'touch' of ground frost.

Personally I would prefer it the other way, if they said it might be 4C and it turns out to be 8 then no harm will be done except a bit of unnecessary covering.

Meanwhile we had several rain showers yesterday but nothing of the sort on the forecast especially when they forecast so many showers that do not in fact materialise.

Now I must rush down and take off the covers before the sun cooks my spuds.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Forecast wrong again
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:07:03 »
I watch the forecast for my postcode on the BBC website and it turns on a sixpence.  And even then it is far from accurate.

But it is touch and go this time of year, I was outside last night feeling the temperature fall and thinking "could be a frost, should I go down and sit with my spuds and toms in the dark with my torch and poundland fleece at the ready".  Don't think there was a frost here though, just heavy dew.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 09:52:19 »
Heavy dew here this morning too.I dont think a frost was too far away last night...nothing I could have done about it....not enough fleece to cover all the potatoes.....at least my beans are not in yet!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:13:37 »
here too, they said rain today - it's overcast but looks nothing like rain. We had one shower the first week of May - and that's all the rain we had since April  :'( :'( :'( :'(
I went down and watered everything this morning, dumped I don't know how many watering cans full, on everything this time, even the spuds. The broccoli is really suffering, but curiously the rest seems all right. Except the carrots. As usual. The tomatoes and peppers even seem to be thriving!

They have not been right on the weather for the last 6 weeks...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:44:33 »
They were predicting a fortnight heatwave... so it's been dull and cool ever since!  :P

greenfists

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 13:31:22 »
I was working last night. At 03.30 it was 7.5 degrees according to the car.
When I got in at just after 4 it was getting light so there seemed little point in covering up then.
All seems well today though.

If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 14:22:58 »
No sign of an actual frost here but it was very cold, I put my nose outside and could see my breathe steaming away.

No burn off spuds but a few courgettes around the site sulking somewhat.  Luckily no wind

Strawberries were cold this morning which made them totally delicious: superfresh and nicely chilled.  BBC tend to have the forecast which the met office have the day before, so can be worth checking there for the most up to date info, but it is still very iffy.

According to the website it is cloudy in Brize Norton, just driven past there and it was nice and sunny. ???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal