Author Topic: Uncultivated plots  (Read 3050 times)

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
Uncultivated plots
« on: May 16, 2011, 18:02:09 »
Does anyone also get annoyed at uncultivated plots? My new one is a right mess but It has been vacant for two years, some are even worse and are rented and supposed to be cultivated. I complained to the site rep but she does not seem to worry the excuses are many including "Its too dry to do anything."

Here are two"Cultivated" plots

The rules don't seem to matter and the association is very weak minded.

I hope to make some changes and one day get on their committee.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Uncultivated plots
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 19:05:13 »
Yes it does annoy me because it's much harder to get people to take them on (successfully!) plus all the weed seeds that blow around..
I am on our committee and we do send out letters and follow up if the plotholder doesnt do anything..
We also try to help people as much as we can if they have problems with lack of tools etc...

Those "cultivated" plots would have been re-let by now on our site..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 19:14:31 »
When there are long waiting lists and people crying out for allotments it seems wrong to have uncultivated plots.    If it is too dry the weeds seem to be doing well enough.

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 19:16:43 »
I am even clearing unused plots by strimming and mowing just to keep weed seeds from growing on my new as yet un cultivated new plot.

Our Association Committee is very weak and at the next AGM there may be a vote of No confidence.

I wish our association was as strong as yours.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 23:17:39 »
burn it on a nice hot day, that will eliminate  most of the seeds, especially the dandelion seeds.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 09:02:10 »
They've got some lovely rhubarb growing in one corner though. If that were me, that would mysteriously disappear late one evening or early one morning...  ;) hate to see things go to waste.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:07:29 »
We have 4 uncultivated plots on our site of only 16.

We have informed the sec of the council and the other week she popped up and said that she'd write some letters

1 person seems to have given up, 1 person came up under duress in a right strop and started clearing his plot muttering and fuming that someone had complained about his plot ( He's done absolutely F all this year) 1 woman has planted 2 small rows of spuds and left it at that(she did the same last year and said she'd run out of time) and 1 we haven't a clue about.

We've only had this site for 1 year, this being our second year.

If people don't want to use a plot, or don't have time then they should give them up

I just carry on with mine and hope that things improve.
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 10:04:31 »
It is annoying, people pay for a year give up and don't inform the Council.  That is selfish. Then letters get sent and it takes time to re-let the plots.  I have two uncultivated next to me, suppose it is good for wild life, one man did suggest we take the plot on next to him, but was told that they had paid for the year. When I find my plot is too much for me (I feel that way on a bad day) I will inform the site sec. and hopefully someone else will enjoy it as much as I have, but then I am such a nice person.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 10:50:57 »
This is my letter to the association.
On 12th  May 2011 I was assigned plot 5A   as a 7.5 rod plot It was very rough and full of weeds and will need a lot of work to get into cultivation.

I was also given a copy of rules and many of these rules are being broken mainly on the **** Marsh and also elsewhere (***** Marsh)

I would like to bring these to your attention and would like a reply back and some answers and news that these issues will be dealt with.

On ******Marsh the allotment representative has been using a hose pipe but rule 12 (Cultivation and maintenance.) states “ The tenant shall practice water conservation using covered water butts and store d**e water as appropriate.”

Should the rep be setting an example?
The rule covering the storing of d**e water is very dangerous to health due to the heavy populations of the Brown Rat which in turn the urine affects the d**e water with Leptospirosis - Weil's disease. I have on many occasions seen tenants fill buckets with d**e water to water crops during this dry spell which is a very poor health and safety problem.
Could running water be given to all sites please?

Rule 13. Bonfires, which are I am sure are managed properly but the rule “All other waste must be removed by the tenant.” Is ignored, on clearing my plot one has only to see the waste and old pushbikes and machinery parts that have been dumped or brought to the site and increasingly dangerous items are left behind.

I suggest a £20 deposit which will only be given back if the plot is left to the following tenant in a clean and cultivated condition. If not the deposit will be spent on clearing the plot so that it is in a good condition for the next tenant.

Rule 10
Every tenant shall keep his allotment reasonably free from weeds and maintain it in a state of cultivation, Headlands shall be kept tidy etc etc.
This is very clearly not happening and there are many taken plots that have got out of hand and are clearly not being cultivated. There are many examples on 88888 Marsh.
The excuses I had had third hand are “It’s too dry to do anything.” “Long term illness.” Why don’t the association ask a team or a volunteer from each site to assist in keeping these plots cultivated.

The allotment rep should I imagine deal with this issue proactively but on talking with other plot holders this is clearly  not happening and a blind eye policy from the allotment managers is apparent.
Finally during my first week I have taken it upon myself to mow the paths between the access gate to ***** Marsh and the end of the track to keep them tidy as per rules but the headlands and plots are just running riot with weeds.
I hope in the future to stand on the Allotments committee become a site rep too and have many questions for the AGM if I may be allowed to speak and would expect my views to be heard and dealt with fairly. If current plot holders are unable to manage their plots why not place a notice in the shed at the Allotment association asking for help? I for one would be glad to help if it means plots are well looked after and the rules are adhered to as they should.

One more question where is the money spent on the allotments? Could the association employ contractors to place fences and gates around plots? Buy a petrol strimmer and lawn mower to hire out to plot holders?
Why don’t the allotment shop stock 2nd hand gardening tools for beginners?

Also a suggestion. A team of volunteers could manage un rented plots by strimming weeds and spraying until they become rented? Again I would volunteer my services. There is nothing off putting to gardeners than seeing a new plot covered in weeds that has been left to grow wild after the previous tenant left.

Why does it take so long for a tenant to give up his plot after it has become overgrown? I suggest a monthly visit is made to all plots and rough un managed ones should be given a warning in writing and a month to get the plot in a good condition. Checked monthly for one year until the committee is satisfied the plot holder can manage his or her plot. This should happen but apparently never does.

My next suggestion would be that a site rep or committee member meets with the new tenant and talk them through the rules and show them round their new plot. No plots are numbered and one can easily start on the wrong plot. So my question is why are the plots not showing numbers? This must help the committee in working out who has which plot and which tenant to contact when things go wrong?

Please do respond in writing as other plot holders have requested that they would like to see the reply. Many are unhappy with the running of the association and would happily vote me in on the committee if I am in successful in getting a response to this letter.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 11:10:33 »
burn it on a nice hot day, that will eliminate  most of the seeds, especially the dandelion seeds.

Yes but doesnt result in the killing of so much wildlife, a lot of which is beneficial. 

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 11:49:50 »
 :o  :o  :o

OK, I admit I haven't read all your letter but I would have waited a while before sending such a letter, not least because it gives you time to decide which complaints are most important.  Longer than a week, at any rate.

And some of these committees are very good at staying put and getting rid of vexatious (sp?) tenants you know  :(

As for uncultivated plots, pressure on the committee from those on the waiting list is the way to go.  After all, if no one wants the plot, at least the landlord is still getting rent from it - and uncultivated plot holders aren't using any water or other site services: the ideal tenant!

JMO mate.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:51:38 by DenbyVisitor »

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 11:53:09 »
True but I hope some valid points will be dealt with.

Funny a chap got a warning last week and has cleared his plot, he will let it grow again (They say) get another letter and cut it down and so on and so on and has been doing so for years.
On our plots in Loostoft we had a three strikes out policy, noone to rent extra plots until their first one is managed correctly.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 13:45:36 »
We have 4 uncultivated plots on our site of only 16.

We have informed the sec of the council and the other week she popped up and said that she'd write some letters

1 person seems to have given up, 1 person came up under duress in a right strop and started clearing his plot muttering and fuming that someone had complained about his plot ( He's done absolutely F all this year) 1 woman has planted 2 small rows of spuds and left it at that(she did the same last year and said she'd run out of time) and 1 we haven't a clue about.

We've only had this site for 1 year, this being our second year.

If people don't want to use a plot, or don't have time then they should give them up

I just carry on with mine and hope that things improve.

Similar on ours - only 15 plots but at least 5 and one half-plot have been barely touched this year. With 500 people on the waiting list it's criminal. Some of the worst offenders are the ones that badger the council while on the waiting list. They turn up for a couple of weeks and then disappear. Most underestimate the amount of work need to a)get on top of a plot, and b) keep it going

Makes me very cross

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 15:13:34 »
I am contracted for 16 hours a week, the other hours on me new plot the garden or my workshop.

The allotment needs a lot and I mean a lot of work not only to cultivate but manage weeds, pests and thefts. It is so easy to say "I want / have an allotment but many in my area actually do anything but a bit every now and again.

stargazer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 16:51:06 »
Our site of 45 has only 1 definate uncultivated plot, the others (well most of the site) is just messy.

There is usually more, as there is no waiting list (plus we like to take on challenges!)

The site is quite messy, with lots of overgrown waste ground where new plots are made if ever there is a rush on them, but there is never any rubbish dumped about.

One person's second plot just houses some tractor ploughs and rotavators and other general stuff, and another plot just one compost bin, but the grass on them is always kept trimmed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal