Author Topic: How to find a leakin a pondliner?  (Read 2405 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
How to find a leakin a pondliner?
« on: May 15, 2011, 14:57:54 »
Whenever I top-up my (very) small pond, the water level quickly drops by about three inches, so I assume there is a leak in the liner at that level or just above. Can anyone suggest how to find the leak and the best way to repair it, please?

Angel

• Half Acre
Re: How to find a leakin a pondliner?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 15:07:50 »
My DiL has a good size pond which she put in a few months ago. She too had the problem of the water levels dropping.... but  to a very low level !  Am not sure if there is an easy way to look for the whole in the liner, she had to drain the pond and lift it and start over again with a new liner  :(

She had rushed the job at the start and hadnt prepared the ground properly, so expensive lesson learned.

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 23:23:12 »
To find the hole I think you just have to go round it looking very carefully.  To fix it you can patch it.  You can buy special glue for this, you need a bit of material too obviously.  I've done it in the past and it worked OK.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 22:49:12 »
caroline,
Let the pond settle to the lowest 'leak level'.
Mark the liner, if you can, along the water level. Drop the water level by bucketing or pump if you have one.
You have a small pond so GET IN if you have to & examine the liner all around your level marking.
I hope you have a butyl liner - tough stuff. It's an easy repair with the right components.
Good luck!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 11:21:42 »
we had the same problem in our small pond until we got rid of a pot of sedge grass and reeds we had in the side of the pond.It seems the plants were sucking up the water and it was lost due to evaporation from the plants. ??? ???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal