Author Topic: Wasp nest above door - help!  (Read 7333 times)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
Wasp nest above door - help!
« on: May 15, 2011, 08:29:53 »
Wasp nest growing daily just above back door in roof overhang. Hate killing things unnecessarily but can't really leave it there. Is there any way of moving without hurting the wasps? Failing that is there anything that will just kill them and not endanger anything else?

Angel

• Half Acre
Re: Wasp nest above door - help!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 08:46:45 »
Give your council a call and they will send someone around to sort it out for you.

We got them to send someone out and it was free of charge.... not sure if all areas are the same so check if there is a cost first.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:52:31 »
Moving the wasp nest is no no...the wasp propably would survive providing the nest could be cut out without major damage to it..but I'm afraid there is no pest controller nor beekeeper that would undertake such operation...it will hurt even with best protective suit.. :-X..and you will still have loads left flying around the old site for few days afterwards..their brain has set to that learned location...and they would not be nice and calm when homeless.
So best option in my opinion is to use expanding foam type nest killer...sprayed inside the nest just before dark when most of the flying forageing wasps are back in. The foam has insectice..and clings into the paper ball and any insect being in touch will be killed. After while the now wet ball can be 'scooped' off and bagged & binned.
There is no danger for anything else and problem is solved.. ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:55:02 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 09:00:06 »
I should add..you can buy the foam fom diy places..like homebase..but I would not tackle it myself without protective gear..as accidents may happen :-X But it is not difficult job if you do it when light is falling and wasps are less active...and...providing the access to the nest is not difficult so you can see where you spray the foam.
But if any doubt..do call you council..they know what they are doing and who knows..maybe they do it free. The foam will cost you about £5 if you are attempting to do it yourself.

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:07:57 »
It was a white powder they sprayed at entrance to nest and he explained that the wasps carry the powder into the nest and this kills them .... sounds awful doesnt it  :o

If your council doesnt do it check your local paper or internet, there are guys out there who do it for a fee.
I would be too scared to attempt it...  I agree with goodlife, these guys know what they are doing

Good Luck

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:03:43 »
Agree with everyone who says contact the council. Really mad wasps are a scary thing. In saying that OH insisted on doing one nest himself. He got the spray from an agricultural merchant and sprayed in cool of evening when they were dormant...but I was on edge he would get stung :( 
Jackie

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:21:55 »
I have removed at least one nest every year for the last 15 years using the Foam. It is no trouble if you do it after dark by the light of a decent torch, the wasps are all asleep and are not even disturbed if one is careful.
Gardening is the great leveller.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 12:27:10 »
I do some nest removals every year for people and in work..and the foam is best..they cannot crawl through it once the entrance is blocked...but I do have the suit as well..not taking any chances..

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 12:34:11 »
Several years ago (I know that's no excuse) we had a wasps nest in our loft.The council had a 3 week waiting list and my OH got a safety ( ;D ;D ;D) suit from work some spray killer ( ;D ;D ;D) and a big stick ! No I kid you not he climbed up a pair of steps ,through the tiny access and set about it  :About 30 stings later he got back down .It did work and we laugh about it now but the stupidity..... ::)
sanity is overated

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 12:39:48 »
Pictures in your suit please goodlife ;D, no rush just when you next do the deed. Unless of course it's your Santa suit that doubles up. We've seen that one ;) ;D.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 18:08:14 »
You... ;D I'll see what I can do ... ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 18:33:15 »
It's very early in the season yet, and there won't be many wasps in the nest. I have one in one of my empty beehives, which I've disturbed repeatedly. I see the queen occasionally, so she hasn't deserted - I've known queens do that before at this time of year - but she hasn't been defensive at all. If the wasps are likely to be interacting with people, spray it and have done. Don't be afraid; I've shared my shed with wasps repeatedly, and never been threatened or stung yet.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 18:55:27 »
Isn't one of the problems with wasps that they release a chemical when stinging, or killed(?) that triggers the attack mechanism in the rest? I disturbed a ground nest on my plot last year, the final sting hit me 50 yards away.  :'(

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 07:02:50 »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Going to try the foam, if I can find some, as just blocking entrance hole won't kill anything else. Only stuff I've seen so far is sprayed from 10 feet away - hopeless when nest is about 7' above ground, totally shielded by overhang and the spray will go over loads of innocent things.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 07:48:50 »
When you use the foam..think of filling  "a tyre with foam"..you aim to get plenty inside...and all of the sudden it expands and the nest just fall apart..so don't stand undernearth looking at it.. ;D
Once you don't see anything happening..get it all into bin bag and get rid of... ;)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 18:41:56 »
Foam successful! Used at night, nest quiet and nothing else around to get hurt. About 50 wasps found on ground this morning (including queen) and masses of fat maggot like larvae inside shell of the nest. Washed down everything spray came into contact with.

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 19:05:00 »
This brings back memories of last year when in September  I was stung 26 time whilst hoeing under my
 fruit bushes.

Only two stings went bad But I was in agony for days.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 21:32:17 »
Gosh I had a lucky escape the other day then! I decided to plant up one raised bed with courgettes under cloches, and moved off several shovelfuls of dried manure when a big wasp flew out followed by several weenie ones. There was a small nest under the manure which I confess I hoiked out and squashed, about 20 larvae in it, the wasps flew away but kept coming back to the bed after I had planted it up and covered it with cloches, but eventually they were trying to burrow under the next bed which still had ther old dry manure on top. Am I going to have the same problem again?! :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 18:48:04 »
If the nest's gone they'll disappear. I've got one about four inches across in the top box of one of my empty hives. Yesterday I took it to pieces to check whether I had a full box of broodcomb at the bottom (I do now). They took no notice of me. I keep taking the top off that hive to watch them, and it doesn't disturb them at all.

flutemaster

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 22:52:28 »
hi alex
i had a similar problem once,all i did was to put a jam jar filled half full with mixture of water and jam/sugar,which ever you choose with the lid on and a hole punched through with a large screwdriver and hung near the nest.they then fly in and drown,all you need do is fish out dead ones periodically,should take about 1 week to sort out.incedentilly i use this method to protect plum trees ,seems to work ,anyway good luck let me know if it works
flutemaster

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal