Author Topic: 1st allotment  (Read 1902 times)

lv565

1st allotment
« on: May 12, 2011, 17:02:40 »
Hi, I have registered for a new allotment in my local area. I have chosen a 'small' plot which is 25 square metres. This sounds quite big to me!

Does anyone have any advice on how much time I would need to spend on this per week? It's a new development so the plots are ready to plant on. At least I won't have to dig or clear weeds to begin with  :)

Also, which things would be best for me to grow as a beginner?

Thanks for any advice!

Buster54

• Acre
Re: 1st allotment
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 18:52:06 »
Its not to late to put some main crop potatoes in peas-dwarf and French-runner beans cabbage cauliflower-lettuce-radishes-pak-choy-broccoli-carrots beetroot its just the start of the growing season so you can stick anything in,welcome and good luck
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 21:07:23 »
"Normal" allotments are about 225 sq M.. but either way enjoy your new plot...  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 22:39:24 »
Hi lv565 welcome to A4A. 

I think you need to decide which veg you like the best and give it a go trying to grow it.   Expect a few failures and frustrations.   

For me cauliflowers are rather fiddly and do not taste much better than those from the supermarket.   My favourites are runner beans and carrots, they taste so much when you grow them. 

roycurwen1

• Not So New ...
  • Having a go . Love me shed .I'am a cider drinker .
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 23:17:14 »
Welcome  :) tbh i would just try anything you want to  .Its trial and error with me as its my first year on the allotment .If you dont succseed the fist time try again ATB .Roy
Don't worry be Happy ! Thatchers Heritage / Chedder Valley Cider ! Happy Day's It will take over your life .Love the outdoor life . Its hard work but its worth it in the end.Black Country Born n Bred !

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 09:16:39 »
Yes that is actually quite small. But you should be able to fit in: a few home grown tomatoes (the real reason to have an allotment! - just pick up 2 or 3 plants now, too late to sow your own), some lettuce, a row of carrots (may or may not have luck with those!), French beans definitely, they usually grow very easily, and you can still now sow beetroot, parsnip, broccoli (Calabrese), and you can sow now seeds for the autumn like kale, brussel sprouts, etc.
If you want some strawberries, you don't have to plant those till autumn and you can have your first crop next year.
have fun!  I would say a couple of visits a week is sufficient for 25 sq m. I work on 100 and I spend about 3 or 4 hours a week, would be better if it were 6 but I get by.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal