Author Topic: Brassica cuttings  (Read 28191 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Brassica cuttings
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2011, 11:49:59 »
Oh good..proper growing 'trial'.. ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2011, 09:42:59 »
Sounds like there is lots and lots of more perennial kale varieties in existence... :o
Found this link about it..http://www.springerlink.com/content/c470641v217v1n60/
..now if they only would let some 'loose' to general public..

I dropped the guy an email, which has been passed to the curator of perennial kales. I'll see what I can learn from them!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2011, 13:36:23 »
Ohhh..well done Robert!!!! ;D It never come to my mind..was that 'pretty please' message or just info.. ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2011, 17:27:00 »
Go for it Robert, I wonder of one from this side of the pond may interest him..I will wait till you hear though.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2011, 18:11:36 »
So far I've gathered that it's really easy to raise cuttings, which makes me wonder how easy it is for other brassicas. Thousand-headed kale is regarded as the oldest extant type, but the perennial kales are probably also very old. The evidence they cite is the development of perennialism, but I'd add the frequent occurence of tetraploid strains, which they also cite. They're extremely rare among brassicas, but vegetative propagation would tend to preserve such mutations. So it looks as though we've found something really interesting!

Apparently, in Africa and Asia, perennial kales are preserved in areas where cabbages don't do well, but the picture may well be different in Europe. When they were preserved in places like Devon, the Netherlands, and (almost) Woburn, then something else is perhaps at work. It's been selected for superfluous branching - ie lots of leaves - at the expense of flowering, and I wonder whether the same applies, perhaps tp a lesser extent, to Thousand-Headed. Some clones are completely sterile, some flower occasionally, and others flower annually.

I've got copies of two papers besides the one in Goodlife's link, so if anyone wants copies, or needs the guy's email, drop me a PM.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2011, 19:09:08 »
Yes please Robert..I would like to have a copy..I'll send you Pm about it..
As for cuttings of other kales.
I chopped off all the finished seed heads now and many of the old kale 'stools' are now pushing good amount of new growth..which I find interesting..I wonder what the quality of that growth is going to be comparing the previous new growth.
And...looks like the cuttings I took from those are going to root as they look very perky too.
And...I've got couple of caulis that I harvested this spring..from those 'stools' have sprouted new growth too :o
I've got right good meddly on that bed..flowering leeks..old caulis and kale.. ::)
I think I'm going to experiment with the cauli now..I'm going to see if I can take the new growth off with some roots already on or cuttings. They are  spring flowering sort so they should have enough time to put growth on for next year..that's if I'm lucky with the cuttings.. ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2011, 19:19:48 »
Has anyone grown Western Front Kale. it is supposed to be perennial for about 5 years, I just got seeds.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2011, 19:26:32 »
Haven't heard about Western Front..I'm trying this year Thousand headed though.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 19:41:33 »
Ordered three lots so there will be some to share XX Jeannine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2011, 19:42:02 »
 ;D ;) ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2011, 21:23:40 »
I was just looking for thousand headed. I'm sure I've heard of Western Front, but I can't place it.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2011, 22:16:23 »
I will send some over when it arrives and you can share, mayebe someone can send me some thousand headed.

Let me know how many to send for.. hiow many seeds a person do you think to get you going.

XX Jeannine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2011, 23:31:12 »
Jeannine&Robert..I've got some seeds left in packet..I'm happy to split it between you two.. ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2011, 00:21:33 »
Thank you,

I am just packing a few bits for you, do you want me to hang on and send the Western Front with the toms or are you waiting for them.. seeds are coming from US maybe quick but maybe not  I can never quite figure it out to be sure, either way it is no problem..your choice.

XX Jeannine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2011, 07:17:44 »
It was late last night when I wrote my message..I should have added ..I've got some thousand headed kale.. ;D
Jeannine...I'm not in hurry..I cannot sow them this year anymore so I'll be more than happy to wait..I'll just stroke my other seeds in mean while... ;D
I'll send you a PM..

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2011, 11:22:06 »
Thanks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 18:20:59 »
Okey dokey.. I will send enough for Robert too and perhaps you can pass them on. XX Jeannine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2011, 18:33:23 »
Will do.. ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2011, 15:07:08 »
My first lot of cauli cuttings have rooted... now that I know it is possible I've done some more. They are spring caulis..I just have to wait and see if they should produce 'as usual'.
'Normal' kale cutting took too and they don't seem to be pushing any flower buds up..looking good... ;D...and the old kale 'stools' have really started to put new growth on. I've given them some fertilizer and water and hopefully they will keep cropping. Trouble with them is now that the land could do turning over.. ::)..but I'll wait and run the experiment till the plants either crop or drop  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2011, 18:01:29 »
Just touching base, Western Front has not arrived here yet..slow shipper XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal