Author Topic: Brassica cuttings  (Read 28185 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Brassica cuttings
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 19:31:55 »
I'm sure the two are closely related, goodlife, but the Daubentons I bought online from www.aromatiques.fr are green for the main part and have slightly frilly leaves.  The Taunton Deane cutting bought from the plant fair in Somerset is deep green/purple and has purple stems and no sign of frills on the leaves.  I would say they look like quite distinct varieties.

Robert - I don't think you can get seeds for Taunton Deane - the woman I bought it from says it doesn't ever flower.  I've heard of Daubentons going to seed occasionally, but I've never seen seeds advertised.

I'm fairly new to this game and could be talking out of my hat of course!  Robert - my intention is that once the Taunton Deane is established enough to take cuttings from then I'll do that for as many people as I can as well as planting some spares myself.  It's pretty small at the moment though but seems to have established itself quite well.  I'll try and remember next year to look back over this thread.

All the best.

Squeezy

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 19:56:31 »
Squeezy..the variegated one on photo that I posted..I bought it from France too.. ::)..and goes under same name as yours..I think they it is just 'general' name rather than variety name.
The Taunton Deane that I've got (green one on photo) I got posted from Knighthayes Court..the head gardener sent note to go with it..Taunton Dean Cottages Kale as variety name and general name Daubenton kale.
So looks like there is different sorts going around....my Taunton is not big enough yet for cuttings neither...but once grown..would nice to do bit of variety swaps.. ;)..and compare the tastes..

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 20:03:20 »
http://www.plantes-et-jardins.com/catalogue/catalogue4.asp?id_variations=1615
That's the link where I got mine from...In photo it is green variety, it was big, but positive suprise when I received variegated version of the Daubenton..so looks like the French are not so bothered what they call theirs..its all just same.. ::)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 20:24:08 »
You have all made me very jealious and now confused.

Having accepted I can't grown this as I can't get plants here and no seeds, someone comes online and says it is a wind up, is he suggesting seeds are available if so can someone please tell me where.

Other than that I need a brave soul to offer to send me some cuttings,. LOL

I get cross when these " one liner posters"  throw out a statement with no other info.

So have I read this all wrong, are seeds available ?

Very confused

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 08:28:24 »
Someone did get seed off Daubenton's last year, but it's unusual. It's certainly not available under normal circumstances, though if mine ever flowers,  I'lll try.

I'm beginning to wonder whether 'Daubenton's' is a generic name for these kales. So far we seem to have found three varieties; green, variegated and Taunton Deane.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 08:36:18 »
Code: [Select]
I think they it is just 'general' name rather than variety name.I would not be suprised if the 'lost' kale Woburn would be around if there is no variety names in use and they've been long forgotten. It is so much easier to just talk about Daubenton as a 'perennial type kale' rather than always mentioning their variety name....quite possible explanation don't you think?
Jeannine....once I've got some more mature growth on we could try a little trip for few cuttings... ;) ;)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 09:28:15 »
It seems like that's possibly true goodlife and Robert.  I might confuse the issue by calling my particular strain Kevin  ;D

Jeannine, don't be too disheartened - these plants have essentially been saved from extinction by a few careful gardeners and as a result there are only a precious few around at the moment.  I'm sure with people like us willing to share cuttings, the re-population of these varieties around the world will come soon to gardens and allotments.  I'm quite willing to bet a cutting would survive air travel if wrapped up carefully as my cutting was abused, left in a hot car for 4 days and still took root very easily.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 14:53:50 »
I bet plants have been taken across the Atlantic before. You never know, there might be more strains waiting to be discovered in Canada or the US.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 16:24:15 »
Is Sqeezyboy calling me a cabbage.   :'(       :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 16:34:34 »
Yes he is...but in a good way...sort of cabbage that doesn't go to seed.. ;) ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 18:56:44 »
I've just come across the name for the variegated form of Daubenton..
Brassica oleracea var. ramosa 'Daubenton Panache'
So now we've got two names for the 3 different sorts of perennial kales.
I'll be on hunt for more possible varieties/names.
Oh..and..some of my ordinary kales have started to re-sprout new growth from old tattered 'trunks' although they've produced seeds as well.. :o
So I took few cutting for sake of experiment..we'll see if they do root and want to flower straight away or if I'm lucky they wait till next year.. ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 06:37:42 »
I wonder if Delaway cabbage falls in here somewhere as I am told it is really a perennial kale? It does put out seeds though.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 17:51:03 »
I think there's a spectrum of perennial brassicas. At one end we have things like 9-star perennial, which is probably only perennial because we cut all the flower buds off and eat them. Then there are true perennials which flower and sprout again, and finally there's Daubenton's, which doesn't normally produce seed. We need to do a lot more observation; we may be dealing with plants which were originally perennial, but were bred for biennialism.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 18:56:01 »
Come to think of it, most of the brassicas we grow either wouldn't work as perennials - cabbages and caulis, where we want a big head - or take up a lot of space for one crop a year - broccoli and sprouts - so we wouldn't want to keep them going. Cut and come again crops are a bit different, so it might work to manage them as perennials if that's what they want to do, cut them back, and let them resprout.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 19:56:54 »
Delaway cabbage is suppose to be 'cut and come again'..I haven't grown it myself..but I would be nice to know if the cutting only delay the end of the life span or if its truly perennial.
I don't seem to find much about it in net. Nobody haven't written about Delaway's growing habbit in detail.
Jeannine..you could fill the knowlege gap and let us know how perennial it is.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 05:24:11 »
Well I have planted it. but won't know for a while.

XX Jeannine

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 18:27:49 »
Try it and see. Ragged Jack seems to have been selected for biennialism in the 19th Century; it may be a question of reselecting back in the opposite direction.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 21:47:34 »
This is fascinating - mysterious kales lost in the mists of time...

I think perennial leaves are a great idea - I'd never swap sowing seeds, transplanting seedlings, clearing new beds etc if it was possible to just keep a mature plant in one place.

Someone gave me a cutting of a perennial cabbage, when I was at my old allotment site in London. I think he'd got it from an African allotmenteer. I didn't really want it, but I stuck it in the ground to be polite - it turned out to be great. I wish I still had it. An ugly looking plant, but useful! It had a purplish tinge to the leaves. I didn't realise how special they were.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 22:57:42 »
Sounds like there is lots and lots of more perennial kale varieties in existence... :o
Found this link about it..http://www.springerlink.com/content/c470641v217v1n60/
..now if they only would let some 'loose' to general public..

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2011, 03:47:48 »
I will leave a couple of Delaway to just be and see what happens if I don't harvest them.

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal