Author Topic: Pots or raised bed  (Read 2729 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Pots or raised bed
« on: January 03, 2011, 20:10:45 »

Looking round it seems that pots are the popular way to grow chilli plants, but I have a 5'x2' upright greenhouse 5' high which is a covered raised bed, any suggestions on how many plants I could grow in this or would pots be the way forward, :)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Pots or raised bed
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 21:45:37 »
I would suggest 3 or 4 plants - depending on variety. Dig in some manure and feed at least once a week when plants start to flower. Chillies need to be started early in warmth as they need a long growing season, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

Tricia

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 17:02:13 »
Do you have a specific variety in mind Mr Smith?  Chilis are hugely varied in size and shape.
Personally Im a pot man as I like to move them around and take em out of my plastic greenhouse..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 15:01:19 »
You could get 8-10 Apache's in there adn you'd be swimming in hot peppers by the end of the year.....

emielou5

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 20:54:05 »
Hi There

I prefer pots for what I call upstanding plants because then I can dedicate my beds to low growing stuff like salad crops and root veggies.
Growing chillies in pots also means I can move them into the house in winter and onto the patio in the summer (to look sraned good when having BBQs) and pots give more control over the time spent rooting, so the plants get on with fruiting sooner, oh and I like to use crop specific feeds.
I only grow what I can eat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal