Author Topic: frost bitten spuds  (Read 1964 times)

diggerrick

• Quarter Acre
frost bitten spuds
« on: May 08, 2011, 08:50:25 »
hi, i have frost bitten spuds,the tops are all a dark colour and limp,what do i do with them now? do i cut off the damaged tops or leave them?will my crop be any good?its my 1st year on the lottie so this is one valueable lesson learnt to cover them to protect against frost.any tips or advice would be appreciated.cheers rick.
keep digging

Daveylad

Re: frost bitten spuds
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:03:20 »
hi, i have frost bitten spuds,the tops are all a dark colour and limp,what do i do with them now? do i cut off the damaged tops or leave them?will my crop be any good?its my 1st year on the lottie so this is one valueable lesson learnt to cover them to protect against frost.any tips or advice would be appreciated.cheers rick.

Rick your potatoes will be fine they will make a full recovery.

Daveylad

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:06:29 »

Sorry mate i should of said just leave them theres no need to remove the tops and the crop will not be affected, the same happened to everyone on our site in Middlesbrough last year and everyones crop made a full recovery.

diggerrick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:08:25 »
thans mate, ;D

Sorry mate i should of said just leave them theres no need to remove the tops and the crop will not be affected, the same happened to everyone on our site in Middlesbrough last year and everyones crop made a full recovery.
keep digging

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 09:12:57 »
As said they will recover but will proberly put them back a couple of weeks, there is two other threads currently about frosted spuds, check them out.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 08:45:00 »
I agree with the Cornykev :) they will recover, mine were looking very sorry for themselves after the frost but when I was watering them last night I noticed that were back on form and fighting back as is everyone else's..  :)

montbrayon

• Not So New ...
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 19:38:35 »
Mine got frost bitten last year and they recovered after a few weeks, didn't know what to do with them so I just left them and they soon got back to normal. 

Don't be disheartened they will come back. :)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 22:02:54 »
mine are recuperating too.....

gillian62

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 22:38:51 »
Mine have started to sprout new leaves.  The retired gent on next lottie says they will be fine, just takes a week or two to recover.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal