Author Topic: Nominate unusual and challenging crops that are well worth the effort?  (Read 7995 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Brownowl23, I got my Wasabi from Poyntzfield Herb, they have some super plants.
Nurseryhttp://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/catalogue1.asp 

Cambourne, I've found they do well in a large pot, kept well watered in a sheltered semi shady spot. They will withstand some frost as they came through last winter in a polytunnel. They have clusters of pretty small white flowers in early spring.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
I'm surprised no one's mentioned celeriac yet.  It's much too difficult for me to grow though it is possible, but it is a marvelous vegetable especially for soup.

I have a medlar.  Pretty blossom, but you'd have to be starving to eat the fruit.  Starving, and deranged.

Oh great!  I am groing celeriac for the first time and have really just left it to its own devices.  Can I expect a poor turnout then?

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
What about peanuts?  Has anyone tried them in the UK?  I saw them on sale in original touch catalouge

Bugloss2009

• Hectare

Oh great!  I am groing celeriac for the first time and have really just left it to its own devices.  Can I expect a poor turnout then?

celeriac is easier than celery that for sure. if only because it takes less effort to still get very little

for another challenging veg - how about broad beans?  ???

antsinmipants

• Quarter Acre
I love Kiwi fruit and this is my first cropping year,I hope its been worth the three year wait! I'm also trying to coaks a couple of Pommegrante plants to set fruit,but I'm told it takes at least six years...so thats three more to go! Love my Boskoop Glory Grape vine,they have a really sweet flavour. Buerre Hardy Pears, I find them difficult to get spot on.
The night was dark....they usually are!......Laurel & Hardy

marcitos

• Quarter Acre
re peanuts - found one growing in an outside flowerpot a few years ago, a 'present' from the local sqirrels.

This year looks like being a good one for kiwis & grapes on my plot. My kumquat seems to be fruiting better now(bigger fruits). Loads of peas but with yellow, purple & green pods. Had a few Honeyberries. Lots of Chokeberries. If we can get some long warm spells I'm hopeful for some olives.

I've got a few things I've had for a few years that have not yet done anything - chinese blue bean, chocolate vine, feijoa

Trying again with mashua, camas, ocas & chinese artichokes.

Unfortunately, lost my Chilean Guava due to the winter weather. However, my strawberry tree is recovering after fruiting for the first time then suffering the cold spell.

New stuff trying this year - Rampion (no luck), Root Chervil (no luck), Tzimbalo (now flowering), Pumpkin Tree (growing well).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal