Author Topic: Allotment paths  (Read 11721 times)

roycurwen1

• Not So New ...
  • Having a go . Love me shed .I'am a cider drinker .
Allotment paths
« on: May 08, 2011, 01:22:00 »
Hi all i iam in a bit of a dilemma as what to use as paths on my plot .Ive been offered some 3x2ft slabs to use but i think they mat be to wide >What do you all think ? .What do you all  use ?can you show pics ? Looking forward to your replies .Thanks ATB .Roy
Don't worry be Happy ! Thatchers Heritage / Chedder Valley Cider ! Happy Day's It will take over your life .Love the outdoor life . Its hard work but its worth it in the end.Black Country Born n Bred !

TelSteph

• Not So New ...
Re: Allotment paths
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 02:11:12 »
We put down loads of carpet for paths, worked a treat, kept the weeds down, neat and tidy.
5 years later the council banned all use of carpets ?
That was a big smelly boni. Ha.
Some other plot holders still use it now.

We now use weed stop, works well.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 07:00:23 »
I just have trampled earth and hoe weeds off regularly. A lot of people use wood chippings (best on black weed suppressing membrane) between raised beds and some have grass paths on traditional plots.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 08:08:59 »
We have grass for he main paths and straw during the growing season for the paths between the crops.These are dug over when winterdigging.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 08:22:59 »

Same as Alex for most plots on this site.  I use slabs on one side of plot, as have a problem neighbour who won't stick to the rules   ::) It does give a clear dividing line and helps stop the weeds.   ;D Our site tends to flood in really wet winters so they do help keep your feet dry when you want to get stuff from the raised beds.   And it gives the plot a nice tidy finnish.   Its down to the rules of the site or personal preference at the end of the day.  I just cant be bothered with mowing paths, better things to do with my time. We're also on clay which gets both sticky and slippy. The council, for the 1st time ever have begun providing wood chipping and this as been a real hit with a lot of plot holders. The only down side I've found with slabs is take care on icy mornings as they will be slippy.

diggerrick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 08:56:18 »
hi,i was told its best to keep a grass path so all the root eating critters are attracted to them rather than your crops?bit more work keeping it cut  :)
keep digging

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 08:57:36 »
[img]http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/gallery/8940_01_04_11.    

I found that visqueen and bark has made excellent paths hard work from no paths at first but well worth the effort

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 09:05:21 »
Woodchip for main paths and slabs and scaffold boards for moveable paths.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 09:30:16 »
If you have 2ft wide paths the plants will soon hang over some of it if you plant up to the edge.  I am using straw at the moment and I am very pleased with the effect.  Problem is sourcing it.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 09:41:51 »
3x2' flags on main paths, pieces of concrete fencing in between the beds  :)
new plot, weed control and wood chip

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 09:44:15 »
A 2 foot wide slab path running front to back is great on a lottie cos you can get a barrow on it, 18" wide isn't really wide enough.... I'm lucky cos I had some slabs available when I got my current plots and on plot 1 after having a quick consult with the neighbour we ran a slab path up our boundary... we each get the convenience of a 2 foot wide path but only lose 1 foot of plot for it. Has worked well for us but then I get on well with my neighbour on that side... On plot 2 the neighbour found some slabs when his folks wanted to prettify their patio so we've got the same thing there.... I've only got one cross path, it's at the back of plot 1 and it is effectively there to serve the compost heaps and other scruffy bits  along the back edge plus provides a path to the polytunnel door.... if I'd had slabs I'd have used them.... as I didn't I put down weed supressing membrane and stuck a ton bag of woodchip down on i. The woodchip was a leylandii hedge when I moved into my house, but it's available form the local recyling yeard for 15 quid a ton bag if you take it away yourself.... THe neighbour on plot one has entertained themselves by riddling a lot of the stones out of their soil and they've got gravel on membrane paths as a result, but they're raised bed fans, I'm a "One big flat field" fan...

chrisc

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 10:17:45 »

We have wood chip which works well for us plus its free from the council yard ;D ;D

X Chas

stargazer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 17:49:47 »
We have a mixture of slabs/trampled down soil.

I am always dubious of using slabs or boards, as they can harbour critters, but I think they look nice, and they do keep the weeds down, so we just put up with the conciquences ;)

Len

• Quarter Acre
  • Len
    • International Allotments
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 18:25:02 »
If your sec or some one on your committee contact a local tree surgeon they may drop off some chippings from local jobs it costs them money to dump the leyandi chippings and it makes good paths (nice smell as well) we have it on our site and it works well. Problem with carpets is what to do with them when they are no longer used its OK with wool but foam and man made fibers are very unfriendly
Len.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 21:52:17 »
Now mostly grass and a few trampled earth.

I'd be happy with some slabs eventually, but on a very steep and uneven site, it will take a while before that's possible! Cutting grass is a pain but it does look lovely when it's done.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 15:57:41 »
weed fabric is and easy and cheap way to have set path and not have to many
problems.

AdeTheSpade

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 23:29:23 »
After I'd used weed suppressing fabric for a few years, and as it was the fraying type it started to really get on my nerves with bits of fraying stuff going all over the place.  I started to source second hand slabs from freecycle and have steadily collected more and more and have now finally finished all my paths as slabs. 
I was offered some 3 x 2s but found them too heavy to lift/move around so didn't take those, - even 2x2s are pretty heavy but I could manage those with a bit of effort and have used those almost exclusively.  I must say I'm very very pleased with the final result - it all looks very neat and tidy, is easy for me to move round the beds (I've got 4' wide beds over the whole plot) and should last pretty much for ever, so I'm really pleased I made the effort to do it that way.  I also put more weed suppressing fabric (but not the fraying sort) under the slabs so that weeds won't grow in between them.
Cheers, Adethespade

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 16:23:01 »
our plot has flags all around, the schools have weed suppressant and wood chips  :)

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 23:01:31 »
 I have weed suppressant and granite chippings, purely because it's a walled garden plot and it keeps it original.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 06:56:17 »
Nice tidy looking plot there manics ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal