Author Topic: Ramsons  (Read 1203 times)

El Rabano

• Not So New ...
Ramsons
« on: May 05, 2011, 08:53:35 »

So, I've got a thing about wild garlic; I love it.  Yet, trekking to my nearest woodland to pick it is not always the most practical thing to do, so last year I collected some seed and planted them. 

In all honesty I did this as an experiment, as growing wild plants in domestic conditions can be a tough thing to do.  However, I do have seedlings which quickly seem to die, seemingly killed by insects . . .

Has anybody tried growing them?  Any tips?

If anyone can help, I'd be grateful as I'd really like to get this to work.

Thanks,

Mike

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
Re: Ramsons
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:52:06 »
We have quite a lot (slight understatement) in the woodland at work & I didn't think anything would impede it's spread. If I weren't on mat leave I'd offer to send you some bulbs. If you can get hold of the bulbs it might be a more reliable way of getting it going.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:36:05 »
There was some discussion of this last year, which is when I realised that what I have got is hedge garlic, now that is really simple to grow, the seeds shoot up everywhere. I seem to think that Saddad knew all about Ramsons, I'm sure he'll be along soon. I've not used hedge garlic other than to crush for the smell, might it substitute for you?

El Rabano

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 09:28:58 »
Hey -

Thanks for the comments; I reckon I'll try the bulbs if none os the seedlings take, which looks like it may be the case . . .

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 18:59:16 »
hmmm - I brought some bulbs (think about 16) - only 4 are really showing and they dont look strong as yet - not sure if its too dry (I have been watering intermittently) or what. I hope they buck up!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 12:38:47 »
You make me sound too knowledgeable Small... I have lots of Garlic Mustard... but no Ramsons.. (OH put her foot down!)  :)

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 15:43:46 »
Right, I just remember you were in there somewhere......do you eat the garlic mustard?

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 15:54:09 »
I bought some wild garlic in the green about six weeks ago.  Unfortunately it stayed in the box it arrived in rather too long while I was digging the bed for it.  A few have survived and hopefully they'll grow and spread a bit.  Love the stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal