Author Topic: Weeding for the arthritic???  (Read 1149 times)

genlistlass

• Half Acre
Weeding for the arthritic???
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:29:11 »
I returned from 5 weeks away to find my one and only flower bed knee high in weeds and grasses. The flowers are peeking out of lush grass and the hosta is there but buried.

What can I do considering weeding traditionally is difficult for me. The weeds would grow quicker than I could get them out?

Should I yank out my flowers and pot them up then throw weed plastic over the whole bed?

Any good ideas very welcome

Gen in Northumberland
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Weeding for the arthritic???
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:30:18 »
sorry, I've got no ideas as I'm arthritic, too. I'm bumping this up for you  :)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Weeding for the arthritic???
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:41:55 »
I have arthritic bits too in my back, shoulders and starting now in my hands.

I find the best thing is to water thoroughly and leave it to soak for an hour or two.  Weeds are then much easier to grub out either by hand or with a cultivator tool.  Wolf do exchangeable tool heads in different sizes and different length handles so you can have a hand tool and kneel or a full length handle to avoid bending. 

You then need to fill the gaps, either with ground cover plants, more plants that will spread such as hardy geraniums or a good mulch of grit, pebbles or chipped bark to suppress weeds whilst allowing your real plants to spread happily.   

Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal