Author Topic: This morning's Frost  (Read 9604 times)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
This morning's Frost
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:48:43 »
OMG, absolutely dreading going up to the lottie this evening after this morning's frost, fingers crossed it hasn't killed too much.. :-\

Davidberry

• Not So New ...
Re: This morning's Frost
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:50:46 »
It seems to have got to my young potato plants, but nothing else.  I didn't realise you need to protect them from frosts.  Does anybody else cover the potatoes in fleece to protect from frosts?

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:12:40 »
Normally if there's going to be a frost and you are forwarned then the best thing to do with potatoes is to earth them up so that the leaves are covered.  Or if they are too large then cover with fleece.  Even frosted potatoes will still grow back - may be a little later and a little smaller if the frost damage was severe.
Best laid plans and all that

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 11:48:11 »
It seems to have got to my young potato plants, but nothing else.  I didn't realise you need to protect them from frosts.  Does anybody else cover the potatoes in fleece to protect from frosts?

Yes, but it does not have to be fleece, which is fairly expensive.  Plastic sheets, decorator's dust cover, old sheets, even newspaper will work well.  Doesn't matter how translucent the cover is, it will only stay on for a short time.

Potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, Runner and French beans, squash/courgette/pumpkin, melon, peppers and aubergines are all frost tender.  Strawberry flowers get a black centre and will not develop into a berry, although the plants survive fine.  Potatoes do grow back, but harvest is delayed. 

Broad beans and peas can stand a bit of frost, lettuce/rocket/cress can stand a bit of frost, as can turnips, cabbages, beetroots and parsnips.

Ths is not a comprehensive list, just a little idea of what needs protecting and what does not.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:55:34 »
Thanks for that info. galina.  A big help to me.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 12:40:20 »
No damage here of any note,all the cold frames were closed and spuds covered with fleece.It`s amazing what just a light cover such as fleece does-the covered spuds were fine-the odd or two one growing in last years patch were touched.

jackienunan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 12:54:30 »
My potatoes are a bit shriveled two but glad to no there going to be ok

flitwickone

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 12:59:42 »
we had a no warning minus 4 last night all 21 rows look as if they are seaweed cos of last years manure thay were all of to a flyer and earthed to about 2 feet high with 4-6 growth above that ridge im so so gutted i aint going back to the lotty for at least a month cant face it to be honest

2 years in a row last year a no warning -6

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 13:25:41 »
we had a no warning minus 4 last night all 21 rows look as if they are seaweed cos of last years manure thay were all of to a flyer and earthed to about 2 feet high with 4-6 growth above that ridge im so so gutted i aint going back to the lotty for at least a month cant face it to be honest

2 years in a row last year a no warning -6

Flitwickone,
Here is some help with next years weather and frost and anything else weather related.
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

You have to keep your eye on this as it will change even by the hour.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 13:52:16 »
thanks for the link landi - hadn't come across that site, and it does seem to give a more detailed picture. be interesting to see how accurate it is over time.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 14:38:38 »
Oops! Covered stuff at home but forgot my potatoes at the allotment. Got builder in at the moment so can't check today.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 14:44:12 »
This time of year, it seems to be very finely balanced and as much to do with the wind as the clear sky.   So we've had cold nights with a clear sky and a light wind = no frost.  Last 2 nights: same conditions and wind drops a bit = frost.

This morning on the plot my spuds (partly covered) not too bad.  Elsewhere some unprotected spuds untouched but some were toast so perhaps variety plays a part.  Very sorry to hear your story Flitwickone, you are not alone.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 14:45:51 by DenbyVisitor »

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 14:57:03 »
Thanks galina that is really useful to know, will take up some covering up tonight and hope there is not too many casulties and Landi thank you for your brilliant website  :)now added it to my favourites for easy access.

flitwickone

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 15:05:52 »
thanks for the website i was signed up for emails with just about all of em etc lol

does anyone know the best revival for them except sunshine and no frost  ;D

ive just been onto the enviromental  agency who have infomed me twice now because some of my fellow neighbours doubted the info that i can extract 20 cubic metres of water a day for them (20000) litres  itold him they are spuds not rice  :)

will water water water help  they are loving the manure they are in as they were planted 12 inches deep and were showing as good as they were before the frost arrived
as always im grateful for the help

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 15:23:11 »
All my potatoes are black this morning - so is that it, potato finito, or do they recover?

I put fleece over some things but, sod's law, I was away on business all day Tuesday. Didn't get back till late, no time to cut fleece to size and put over potates before darkness fell.
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

flitwickone

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 15:31:40 »
we will get a reduced crop and a little later than most im  told im devastated like you m8 chin up

at least we will get something fingers crossed

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 20:42:00 »
It worked in my favour as it happens, I've just been to B&Q where they had trays of frost damaged bedding plants reduced from their usual £5 per tray. I got 2x24 trays of lobelia for £1 each, roughly a third of which were dead and a tray of 24 busy lizzies for £2, superficial damage only.

Best of all, when I got to the till, the 'buy 3 for £12 instead of £15' discount applied and knocked off a further £3, so all 3 for £1!

Happy bunny.  ;D
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 09:57:53 »
lost all my courgettes  :( all my potato plants are black but with a bit of luck they'll be back  :) broad beans and lettuces seem positively loving it, sage, marjoram, pumpkin, and runners have all brought it  :'( but will try again, luckily have loads of seeds so will get them in this week end.  :)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 10:52:13 »
Thin layer of ice on the water butts...taps frozen.pototoes looking very sorry for themselves.....and one chap put fleece on his but the frost still got to them!.

Spuds had to go in when they did...no use trying to save them until mid may!.I know from experience never to put things like beans,pumpkins,courgettes,peppers etc out too early.A very late,hard frost devastated my stuff on the 17th May 2009......once bitten twice shy!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 11:03:43 »
.A very late,hard frost devastated my stuff on the 17th May 2009......once bitten twice shy!

Here on the 'spine' of England, on a high plateau in Northamptonshire, I had a lot of stuff lost to frost in June and again a few years later, in the night 31st May to 1st June.   It is not so bad nearer the coasts where these isolated sharp late frosts don't occur.

With all the fleecing, my potatoes were ok and other stuff too, but some of the young new shoots on the grape vine are frosted.  Can't win them all.  I guess some of the newly set fruit on the trees will be turning black and fall off too.

Yes potatoes do regrow.  They have a good store of food from the seed potato in the ground.  The frost was not sharp enough to get deeply into the ground, so the shoots will regrow and only the tips were killed.  Take heart!  :)  
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:06:59 by galina »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal