Author Topic: Anyone got a frost forecast for Tues 5th?  (Read 8013 times)

Chrispy

• Hectare
Re: Anyone got a frost forecast for Tues 5th?
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2011, 09:11:59 »
It was a min. of 7.5C in the end - totally tropical!
I had a min of 1degC Ollie, you are less than 2 miles away so 7.5 seems just a bit high.

Everything on my plot was fine, and the peppers spent the night in the kitchen.

Had a wander round the site, the spuds on 2 plots at the bottom of the hill where the cold collects were a bit droopy but that was about it.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2011, 09:25:52 »
Does washing the frost off plants really work??????????

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2011, 09:35:22 »
There were no signs of frost at the allotment this morning but the water in the cats' water bowl was frozen over.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2011, 10:03:01 »
Does washing the frost off plants really work??????????

Some say it does....lost my runner beans on 17th May 2009 even after a good wash.

Washed my potatoes early this morning but they still look very sad,droopy with that "frozen and thawed out" look.....just like everyone elses!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2011, 11:09:51 »
We got away with it here in London - It was cold but no frost on the plot....
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2011, 12:23:16 »
It was a min. of 7.5C in the end - totally tropical!
I had a min of 1degC Ollie, you are less than 2 miles away so 7.5 seems just a bit high.

Everything on my plot was fine, and the peppers spent the night in the kitchen.

Had a wander round the site, the spuds on 2 plots at the bottom of the hill where the cold collects were a bit droopy but that was about it.

How interesting - we can't both be right. I reset the max/min last night at around 11. The sensor is 2 ft off the ground & quite near the house - if you're exposed & on the ground it could account for a couple I suppose but not a difference of 6.5! It is fairly new but seemed accurate before. Might have to check it in the fridge.

p.s. I'm not even that far from you, near the police station. Allotment is at the Lido.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2011, 15:07:13 »
We had quite a hard frost at the lottie everything was white.  The condensation in my bottle cloches was rock solid, though the plants inside are fine.  Even managed to have some problems with things that were covered, next time I must make sure the covers do not touch the plants.

The effects seem to be very random some potatoes had a problem and the next one not.  The people with plot near trees seem to be ok. 

I reckon it was -2C.    Even under protection some of my strawberry flowers have gone black.  The flowers on the few that were not covered look very sad. 

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2011, 16:32:05 »
Sidcup didnt get away with it. all frosted here. Trust it to frost the one day I couldnt get down to the lottie to fleece.

Hurrumph.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2011, 15:21:15 »
Just noticed a few black leaves on some of my spuds, so I wandered down the hill to the other side of the site where I saw some droopy looking spuds yesterday, and now they are totally black and shriveled.
I can definitely say we had a frost in Guildford on Tues night, if rather patchy.

It was a tropical 8.5C last night, amazing how quick it can change.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2011, 20:35:37 »
That is brilliant

Where on earth do you get a weather forcast that far ahead we can only get it for the next few days and that is usually wrong

Next time the 5th of May is on a Tuesday is 2015

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal