Author Topic: what yeast ?  (Read 2766 times)

ipt8

• Hectare
what yeast ?
« on: April 30, 2011, 23:21:14 »
What yeast should I buy to make ginger beer or elderflower champagne? I only see dried bakers yeast in supermarkets.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
Re: what yeast ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 00:24:59 »
I used to use ordinary yeast from my baker

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 08:23:14 »
For ginger beer ordinary one will do fine..but elderflower champagne you should not need any as there is naturally some wild yeast about to create bubbles and some 'strenght'.. ;)..but failing that tiny amount of ordinary yeast should do the trick.
I made some elderflower cordial last summer and the last bottle was left in fridge untill winter.
Well..it started to bubble up naturally.. :o Being in so cold it took long time to get started but I was suprised to find the source of the hissing noice, I thought we had snake in fridge.. ::) I'm glad that the top was 'leaking' or there would had been right good explosion and sticky mess all over..Pheww!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:53:32 »
I use wine yeast for elderflower (from home-brew shop). I think you can also get champagne yeast but as GL says, it could be overkill. I think you can also make it without yeast. It depends on the ingredients in your recipe.

El Rabano

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 23:22:10 »
Last year, we attempted to make elderflower champagne, using only the wild yeast present in the flowers. It did bubble and produce 'strength', but it also gave our brew the consistency of mucus...
A quick survey of self-suffiicency forums seems to indicate that not adding shop-bought yeast results in gloopy champagne.

We'll be testing this hypothesis this year (with baker's yeast), and would welcome any comment on the topic!

Roll on elderflowers!

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 06:55:19 »
Well I think I have some dried bakers yeast so I will try that. I dont know of any hame brew shops locally and its not worth a special trip the cost of fuel now.
Thanks

PlantPlot

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 13:14:39 »
Hi

I would avoid using bread yeast, have a look at the online shop below postage will be next to nothing especially if you ring them and order over the phone.

Anne there is very helpful.

http://www.matchlesshomebrewing.co.uk/?utm_source=thbf&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Standard%2BBanner

Hope that helps :)

PP

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 20:18:24 »
How do you make fizzy cider?
The link above didnt give much info?

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 22:35:43 »
Thanks very much for the link that is just what I needed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal