Author Topic: horse tail  (Read 15376 times)

gazzaroo

• Quarter Acre
horse tail
« on: April 29, 2011, 18:51:49 »
iv just ordered some of this stuff has and one used it befor..

http://www.progreen.co.uk/Weed-Killers/Total-Weed-Killers/Kurtail-0-5LTS/prod_2.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-9Ph4blS0I  this is were i found it
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 18:53:40 by gazzaroo »

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: horse tail
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 19:25:04 »
Never come across it before gazzaroo. If it kills marestail it will be a first. In my experience it's unkillable :o Let us know how you get on please.
Smile, it confuses people.

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 22:05:04 »
The weed has a coating similar to a plastic raincoat which prevents any weed killer getting into it.

The suggestion is that you beat hell out of the horse tails first to break that coating then spray it.

Frankly the problem is more visual than practical. The weed is deep and does not actually affect other plants.

If you pluck out the tops often enough they do give up and move on after a few decades.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 08:26:18 »
If you pluck out the tops often enough they do give up and move on after a few decades.
;D ;D so will I!
Smile, it confuses people.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 12:27:55 »
I dig out or snap off at least a hundred a day, I count, how sad.  It is really getting going at the moment but it doesn't seem to affect the crops too much, so I just say don't get too paranoid about it.  Lots of people have given up their sites because of it, Manuel dug very deep and thought he had got rid of it, but it has come back.  Just off with my sandwiches to dig up my hundred for today.

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 14:00:52 »
Wish my asparagus sprouted as many shoots !!!
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 18:14:47 »
Learn to live with it.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 18:18:34 »
It was all over the bottom of my father's allotment, and it didn't seem to do much harm.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 20:30:47 »
The better the soil gets... the less of a problem it is... it survives where nothing else will... add a foot of manure... break off any shoots and grow anything that shades the surface.. like squash... it will disappear in about five years.
It won't be dead... it's been there since the dinosaurs but it just doesn't need the competition of real plants...  :-X

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 18:16:45 »
Dinosaurs? It was there when the first reptiles appeared. It was a major contributor to our coal seams. It's one of the great survivors, so don't expect it to give up and go away!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 18:39:13 »
I have eradicated it from one plot just by continuous digging and pulling, but it is in amongst my strawberry bed so unless I dig that up and start again, I have to live with it.  At the moment, my strawb bed looks like a mini Christmas tree farm for gnomes.   :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 18:49:48 »
As said nothing known to man has killed it off
Just keep pulling the tops and they reckon it will give up one day
Or probably pop up on next doors plot
It doesn't affect your plants as the root goes deep
As said learn to live with it
 :'(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 20:21:28 »
Got some (I think) in my small water garden, just straight stems, no leaves or anything. Looks nice.

gazzaroo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 17:05:57 »
hi guys
iv put down the kurtail weed killer this week,, 3 days have past ..not much chance but i thinking its kicking in,,i,ll keep you posted

gazzaroo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 14:44:56 »
its been about 5 days now and the kurtail weed killer looks like its working ,,the horse tail is going very black and not looking well..

gazzaroo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 19:13:38 »
hi guys,,,must tell you the this kurtaill weed killer is killing of the horsetail,,,it all gone really black its all bent over and some of the little ones have gone,,,woop woop man kind can kill horsetail..i mite just win this and reclaim my allotment from this weed.. ;D ;D   

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 19:31:35 »
Any photos of the marestail Gazz, are there any side affects to neighbouring plants and does it state on the label whether you can grow edibles whilst it's taking affect.   :-\
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 19:33:21 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

gazzaroo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 19:58:30 »
Kurtail 0.5LT (previously Kibosh)

Total weed killer & also kills mare's tail / horse tail

Active Ingredient: 150g/lt glufosinate-ammonium

MAPP No: 15329
Rate : See label, 1000m2 per 0.5lt pack
Suggested safety clothing - safety clothing bundle (see Safety Clothing section or click here)
Kurtail is a non selective weed killer which kills all grass and broadleaved weeds it contacts in approximately 7 days.

At the rate recommended below, Kurtail weedkiller will give complete control of annual and perennial weeds including thistles, couch grass and the nightmare weed mare's tail (or horse tail).

Kurtail is degraded after contact with the soil and crops can be drilled or planted immediately after application except on sands or very light or immature peat soils. When using Kurtail on these soils allow 3 days to elapse before planting or drilling or before emergence of crops drilled prior to treatment.  For best results treatment should be made to actively growing weeds between 1st March and 30th September. Kurtail works only when plants are actively growing.

Our recommended dilution rate is 25ml Kurtail to 1ltr water covers 50m2
For agricultural or horticultural non-cropped situations, apply 3.0 - 5.0 Litres/ha; use higher dose for perennial weed control. Mare's tail control requires the 5 Litres/ha rate.

http://www.progreen.co.uk/Weed-Killers/Total-Weed-Killers/Kurtail-0-5LTS/prod_2.html

ill sort some pic.s out

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 20:24:27 »
when we took over our new lotti this Feb, there was no sign of Marestail. We dug our beds and amidst all the varying types of weed roots which I was mostly able to ID, there was one kind that I wasn't so sure about. There was zillions of these black, almost thin plasticky 'sheath' like tubes (inside was white string type fine root) which appeared dead to me. Unbeknown to me, we just took out what were the real, identifiable roots but not these tho'. Since the onset of Spring, say about March time, found Marestail in off-white/beige colour but the tops of them puffed out some kind of powder. To me, it looked suspiciously like Marestail, but in a different colour and texture. Now in most of the beds that have been turned a couple of times before sowing/planting, we found there was hardly any new Marestail to be growing. Only one or two beds that haven't been so rigorously dug over, there has been a couple of them sprouting. The rest of the plot with grass/bramble/rosebay willow herb/nettle  that haven't been cultivated, the Marestail is allover the shop.  :o :o :o

So I think by digging and rooting out all the roots, I think we've destroyed the Marestail from establishing itself. Do you think that is the case? Or am I to face more problems later in the year with the existing ones in the grass/cultivated areas?  ??? ???

gazzaroo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 21:30:27 »
got some pic/s of the horsetail in my profile now,,,

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal