Author Topic: I need a knowledgable volunteer to shop for me online..me paying of course  (Read 4354 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
As you know my old laptop died leaving me with files I need. It is dead. some of you gave great advice on how to retrieve them. I need to buy something to put the hard drive in then connect it to me new computer but I don't know what I am looking for.

Would someone be so kind as to check out Amazon Canada and then tell what the gadghet is so I can buy it.. I am lost buying stuff like this.

I would be so very grateful, can give you any info you need from this end if you need the laptop types etc.

With great thanks

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
This would do and is cheap....
It covers both IDE and SATA drive connectors and connects by USB

http://www.amazon.ca/USB-SATA-Drive-Converter-Adapter/dp/B003OENQ4G/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1303633971&sr=8-8

Lots of similar stuff on the page but this should do the trick unless you want to permanently mount the old drive....
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

greenfists

• Half Acre
You need a 2.5" Harddrive caddy or enclosure such as this. (search 2.5" enclosure or similar on ebay there's hundreds.)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-5-USB-External-IDE-Laptop-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Enclosure-/310210753260?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item483a0072ec
This is a video (with awful music) showing how to put one together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPdKbEUOkCY
Basically it converts a SATA drive to USB which makes it very easy to transfer files etc. Just plug and play and it will show as a storage.

If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Just have to be careful - greenfists link is IDE interface only which may be fine or not depending on the age of your laptop.
Your hard drive will be either IDE or SATA

IDE looks like this -

SATA                   -
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

greenfists

• Half Acre
Good point well presented. :)
What laptop is it (make and model.)?
Between us we should be able to identify what sort of drive it is.
Or try this.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6110534_hard-drive-sata-ide.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:36:25 by greenfists »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Thank you jeannine for starting this thread.  I have an old computer with all sorts on hte hard drive particularly pictures and the battery system died cost of a replacement was huge.  Got a new computer but basically there should be nothing wrong with the hard drive.  I must find a way of retrieving it.

greenfists

• Half Acre
Digeroo.
Is it a PC?
Because the video on how to use the enclosure is basically the same but with a thicker drive (3.5").
This is a video on how to get it out of your PC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lVnFlFrqhE&feature=related
Here's an IDE enclosure on Play (free delivery.)
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/9467108/Dynamode-USB-2-0-3-5-inch-IDE-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=hard+drive+enclosure+3.5&urlrefer=search
I promise it really is very easy. You only need a screwdriver and about 15 minutes. As above you will have either a SATA or IDE drive and will need the right type of enclosure to go with it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Many thanks for this.  My son built his own computer while still at school so I do have some knowledge about what is inside the box.   So hopefully can sort it out.

I hope you can get sorted too Jeannine.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
 Thank you.

Info on old laptop

Make is Stone..model number NO:MR052 but last year I hasa new bit put in as a virus got me. They puit in Vista.There are unmbers on the Vista sticker on the bottom if you want them.

Info on new laptop

Make is Compaq  Presario CQ56 with windows 7 on it.

I buy all the time from Amazon CA so if the thing I need can be shown to me I can send for it.

You guys are very clever, remember I am a total idiot when it come to this. I am good with a screwdriver though and not worried about taking it apart with guidance.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 19:09:18 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Hi again. I just got the old one out to get the info you on and I pliugged it in and it has lit up..not switching it off. will go and see what it can do XX Jeannine

It seems OK, I had lost the background picture but all my documenets are still there.

So quick you clever guys how do I get them off before it dies again.

There wasa programme on my new one that transferred wirelessly but it didn't seem to work .. someone told me I could cut and paste the whole set if files then sort it out when it was on the new one but |I don't know how to do that.

help!!

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 19:19:36 by Jeannine »

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
Great news Jeannine.  Hope you can retrieve everything you wanted.

greenfists

• Half Acre
Do you have, or have access to a USB flash drive?
Its very easy then.
Make sure that you know what you computer recognises it as.
Just right click on the folder that you want and click on send to the flash drive.
Then upload it from the flash drive to the new one.
This seems to be a good article.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2296142_data-old-laptop-new-one.html

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I dion't know what that is. It let me put a memory stcik in but I had to hold it up as the connection is iffy.. I managed toi egt everything on it. On the new laptop the pictures have come accross fine. The documents are there as they are showing up on a list but it says I can't open them..they were done on Works.

I tried a disc but could not get it to go.

Iam one very frustrated lady right now.I think John has gone into hiding.

As recent as 2 years ago he would have been able to do all thios foir me, now he can't remember how.

XX Jeannine

greenfists

• Half Acre
I have done a research on this matter and apparently Libre Office (which I use successfully almost every day.) will open Works documents.
Its totally free and totally legit.
You could download it and try to open the documents.
If it doesn't work you can just delete Libre office and you will have lost nothing.
Its available here.
http://www.libreoffice.org/

Just an idea for a work around.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Ity's died again,, we are back to square 1.

XX Jeannine

greenfists

• Half Acre
DId you manage to get everything that you needed off it?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
No, just the picture. XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal