Author Topic: Ants on broad beans  (Read 13891 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Ants on broad beans
« on: April 26, 2011, 17:52:51 »
Having convinced myself by searching on here that my broad beans may survive an attack of pea and bean weevil, I noticed today that some of the plants were covered in ants. What damage will they do and is there anything I can do to deter them?

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Ants on broad beans
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 18:10:32 »
they're waiting for the black fly to arrive........... ???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 19:31:45 »
They may be farming blackfly, if any are present, but they may well be taking nectar from extra-floral nectaries under the leaves.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 19:35:53 »
The ants are there to farm aphids and may even imposrt some so they can harvest their sugary output.  they will laso make nests under yor plants and these tunnels can leave the roots under the soil dry and starving as they are are no longer in ocntact with the soil and its nutrients.

Water your broad beans with a solution of 10 litres of water to one small bottle of essential oil of cloves avaialble from good paharmacies and health shops.   The ants can't bear the smell and will move away.  You could also use proprietary poisons and ant traps if yo'ure not organic.
Obxx - Vendée France

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 19:40:15 »
They'll also attack any ladybirds or other feeders on aphids I believe. Dont they effectively "milk" the aphids to get them to produce more honeydew?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 21:26:58 »
Nasty! I've always hated ants and now I have another reason!

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:44:15 »
Would grinding up cloves and scattering them on ground deter ants?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:19:39 »
if you feed the ants on a sugar-rich diet they'll treat the aphids as a protein source.
apply syrup / jam to lower leaf joints. ;)
( I have tried this, it works)
You couldn't make it up!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 11:40:18 »
Hello Alex.  I don't know but it must be worth a try.  You could also infuse some cloves in boling water and then pour the cooled brew around the plants.
Obxx - Vendée France

Allotment18

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 14:55:41 »

my broad beans were covered with black ants n aphids last year  leaves ended up nearly all blacky/brown and destroyed though I did have some lovely beans

this year I have been watering each evening with left over washing up water  and spraying every other night with garlic water   so far (touch wood!!) they are looking pretty clear 

lawnmower man

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 18:31:24 »
I have ants on my broad beans and as far as I can tell no or very few aphids. I've spent many hours watching them (sad I know) and noticed they seem to gravitate to the small dark spot which is on the furl of tissue just below the leaf nodes. This is not a blackfly as it's on every node in exactly the same place. The ants seem to be feeding from it. I cant find any info on this but have heard of other plants which have symbiotic relationships with ants- offering food or shelter and in return gain protection from the ants. I have a degree in zoology so although not an expert, I sort of know what I'm talking about.
Any body know anything about this?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 18:40:24 »
It's an extra-floral nectary. That's a fancy way of saying it's a bit of the plant, not a flower, which oozes nectar.

lawnmower man

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 18:45:44 »
Thanks for that, having done a bit of browsing I've found an article on the subject. It's a form of mutualism rather than symbiosis.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/ele/2003/00000006/00000006/art00002

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 21:02:50 »
Are these nasties on the broad bean plants "black army" to avoid getting this my husband always says if you plant them really really early you don't get black army. is this info any help to any one.

we didn't grow broad beans this year, still had some in the freezer.               qahtan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal