Author Topic: Apple/Fruit press  (Read 4983 times)

Urlybird

• Quarter Acre
Apple/Fruit press
« on: April 25, 2011, 23:16:34 »
With the abundance of apple trees in my garden, the neighbours gardens and numerous "wild" trees here abouts, and my penchant for consuming vast quantities of "Shop" bought cider, i've decided to have a go at brewing my own cider, so whilst i have the raw ingredients, the means to chop the apples, (a garden shredder ( the bloke from Norfolk cider suggested it)) numerous recipes, and a vast array of demijohns which are surplus to the wifes wine making, all i'm missing is the press,

As i'm sure you'll know Essex isn't renowned for its cider making, and the only press i know of is 300 miles away, at an old family friends, i've decided to make my own,

I've scoured the internet, and it seems that without parting with money, i'm destined to make something of my own design, unless, that is someone out there can post a link/links to cider/fruit press plans,

I'm prety good with a welder, so my aim is to construct something from box section steel

If anyone has any idea where i can get plans from it'd be sweet, but if not, i'll make it up as i go along, and keep you posted as to results
Somewhere, in the world, the sun is over the yardarm,

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: Apple/Fruit press
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 15:14:50 »
Hi
I was thinking about this last year and if i could use a car jack pressed against something like the chicken coop. There are some videos on you tube that might be useful just search for homemade apple press. and let us know how you get on!
x sunloving

nolandyet/nowwedo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 16:20:48 »
Hi Urlybird, I've been making cider for more years than I care to or can remember
Two sites to visit would be Andrew Leas , www.cider.org.uk , click to enter then on left hand side scroll down to the technology centre and look for" Making a press and mill" On this page are some facts and figures on pressure and size of cheeses.
Also Andrew is a member of the craft cider forum at www.ciderworkshop.com
Ray Blockley of Torkard cider Co has made a steel framed press though I can't find any images of it yet, he is also a member of the ciderworkshop group.
Good luck with this years apple harvest ,
Rich...

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 21:33:40 »
don't bother will all that 'faffing' around,  a chap I know who makes about 100 - 150 gals per year uses......................wait for it............................... a butchers mincer to pulp the apples, straight into a hessian sack inside a large plastic drum. he then puts the full sack into.............................a single drum spin-drier!!!!

K.I.S.S. principle!!
You couldn't make it up!

Urlybird

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 22:45:07 »
thanks all for your replies, i've got an idea forming in my mind, (jack, RSJ's, Box section steel, etc)

I'll keep you posted, still a few months before i actually need to start building
Somewhere, in the world, the sun is over the yardarm,

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 20:55:52 »
I was thinking of kenwood chef mincer attachment but reading the link, it all looks a bit technical and complicated!
So I will just pop down the shop!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal