Author Topic: Microwave as a sterilizer?  (Read 7305 times)

Julie Q

• Not So New ...
Microwave as a sterilizer?
« on: April 19, 2011, 00:13:45 »
My mom loves her container gardening, she's got pots and troughs every where - on the floor, fixed to walls, hanging baskets...the works.

Over the last 2-3 years vine weevil has started to really take hold, and its destroying her garden. We tried replacing all the soil (works out expensive), fumigating the greenhouse and general 'clean it up' tactics, but its made no difference.

Now, as she's on a pension and I'm 'between jobs', we're trying to avoid the expense of replacing all the soil again, and I had a brain wave.

Could she put some soil (in a container ^^ ) in the microwave and blast it for a minute - surely that'd kill any bugs/mites/ticks/eggs that were lurking?

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Microwave as a sterilizer?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:31:34 »
Hi JulieQ

i use a microwave for sterilising compost. I use a casserole dish  :) with 6 minutes on high, wit the compost dampened. That's to try to zap any fungus spores. May not work of course - the nasty fungus on rice doesn't get killed when you boil it....

there are chemical controls for vine weevils, like provado, but i've not used it.

also as vine weevils can't fly, standing pots in water trays may help keep them out. Obviously no use if the larvae or eggs are already in the pots. You would have to have a poke around first. The larvae are easy to spot, but the eggs aren't. It's from now to the end of the summer that eggs get laid by the way

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:35:00 »
Could be your answer rather than stinking the house out with compost sterilising (you wait till you get a slug in a microwave....)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nemasys-vine-weevil-killer-standard/dp/B000VPIJ3O

chrisc

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 13:30:59 »

I agree with Chriscross-
Even though not cheap, I reckon it would be cheaper than microwaving all that compost. And definatly less smelly! :)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 15:03:28 »
Being a tad controversial, if you go to armillatox.co.uk you will be told that Armillatox can only used to clean down garden furniture and decking.  BUT, if you go to armillatox.com you will be given the dilution rates for killing vine weevil eggs, use against honey fungus, etc.

This is all down to the EU.  Apparently it doesn't like coal tar products. ??? ???

What we do is, any compost that has overwintered fuchsias in, we water with the dilute mixture to kill the eggs.  When plants are showing signs of adult activity we spray with a systemic insecticide.

Armillatox is readily available in the UK, so use away I say.

We are winning the battle, but they are total, absolute and utter sods. ;D ;D

We don't like to use chemicals on anything we eat.  Another favourite plant of the vine weevil is the strawberry.

Wish you luck.

valmarg

Julie Q

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 23:39:33 »
Thank you for those brilliant suggestions !

Either of them seems far more cost effective than my idea.

I'm particularly drawn to the Armillatox product because I see its also used to treat clubroot - something that my allotment suffers with.

Again, thank you all for your time and knowledge  :-*

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:06:45 »
Lurking somewhere in the depths of my old brain garlic springs to mind.I am sure it was on here that i read to plant garlic in the tubs as the vine weevil dont like it.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 12:56:14 »
Thank you for those brilliant suggestions !

Either of them seems far more cost effective than my idea.

I'm particularly drawn to the Armillatox product because I see its also used to treat clubroot - something that my allotment suffers with.

Again, thank you all for your time and knowledge  :-*

TEst your pH on the allotment, it might be a good idea to heavily lime the brassicas as they go in.... dust lime in the planting hole and top dress with it a couple of times....

chrisc

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 22:15:05 »
Hi JulieQ

i use a microwave for sterilising compost. I use a casserole dish  :) with 6 minutes on high, wit the compost dampened. That's to try to zap any fungus spores. May not work of course - the nasty fungus on rice doesn't get killed when you boil it....

there are chemical controls for vine weevils, like provado, but i've not used it.

also as vine weevils can't fly, standing pots in water trays may help keep them out. Obviously no use if the larvae or eggs are already in the pots. You would have to have a poke around first. The larvae are easy to spot, but the eggs aren't. It's from now to the end of the summer that eggs get laid by the way

I sterilise compost quite regularly in a microwave - it's easier than finding the weevils and safer than the recommended method of spreading it on the lawn. It's fine for a few litres at a time.

Provado is a neo-nicotinoid but unlike nicotine it is very persistent and so very dangerous to bees for a very long time. Is it a coincidence that there was a fuss about spraying nicotine just before it came out? I think so - to kill yourself with nicotine would be real Darwin Award material...

I don't much like coal tar either.

The easiest way to kill vine weevil in large quantities of compost is to simply drown the compost in a bin full of water for 2-3 weeks.

That's what I found with experiments on an autumn clearout - in summer it might be quicker, and quicker still if you add manure - you are aiming for a eutrophic/anoxic environment they simply can't cope with - but why risk it? 2-3 weeks kills them all.

It is especially good for strawberry pots - just drown the whole thing in a giant butt and you can replant 3 weeks later without rebuilding the drainage etc.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal