Author Topic: Kale query  (Read 1353 times)

vague

• Not So New ...
Kale query
« on: April 19, 2011, 17:28:59 »
Hi All

I've been planting my Kale this morning, I am using Red Russian and Cavilo Nero this year, direct into a seed bed.

Just really wondered what people do with their kale planting.  Do you just pick out the best plants and cut them back for the season?  Does anybody plant them at different times of the year, and does this ensure a continuous supply?  Or is it best to cut them back when they are young and just keep planting?

Cheers

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Kale query
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 20:12:05 »
I'm only doing one sowing and with different varieties and that will keep me going almost a year until is time for new plants again.
I'm not cutting the plants down at all..I always leave the growing tips untouched so it keep growing and producing more..and when I crop it I only take few leaves at the time per plant so there is plenty of leaves left to carry on feeding the plant.
My last years kale is just started to flower so those I'm not picking from anymore..I'm not sowing new plants untill about June time.

vague

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:14:55 »
Cheers for that, it has certainly given me something to think about!
 :D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:52:06 »
I sowed some quite late last year as a green manure after broad beans and it is now producing nice sprouting tips.    It was due to be dug in but got a reprieve.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal