Author Topic: cloches  (Read 1811 times)

diggerrick

• Quarter Acre
cloches
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:13:27 »
anyone got any ideas how to make cloches? or where to buy them cheap?its my 1st year on my lottyso any advice would be greatfull,cheers.
keep digging

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
Re: cloches
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 10:32:16 »
depends how sturdy and permanent you want them. Clear plastic sheet and wire coat hangers is the easiest way. Ive made 2.4 x 1.2 x 0.6  M wooden frames out of recycled  tiling battens and pallets, with plastic sheet  or debris netting to slip over them, so they work as cloches or net protectors.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 13:14:28 »
For individual plant cloches just cut a large pastic bottle in half.  Use the top half as one,  keeping the lid off for ventilation.  Put some holes in the bottom half with a nail then turn it upside down to cover the plant.

B&Q do double and single cloches (£12-15).  They are a hardened plastic with end ventilation that can be adjusted.  They are also supplied with pegs for securing to the ground.  

I purchased 2 double and one single 2 years ago and they are used all year round.  I cover direct sown seeds until they germinate and come up a bit then the cloches are moved each time I direct sow more seed.  In November I covered some onions and garlic to protect them over winter.  Those that were not covered are not as far on but those that were are looking mighty fine.  
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 13:16:30 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 15:14:16 »
I'm using the old cover from my cheap polytunnel cut into strips. Then a dismantled clothes airer in the ground. Sides at moment are held down with lumps of clay from plot but intend to get some tent pegs this Friday :-)
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 20:39:24 »
I got loads from poundland a few years ago; they're small and basic, but they cover seedlings nicely.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 11:41:58 »
Yes I use 2l plastic bottles - here it's a bit warmer so I only really cloche things like squash, courgettes, corn that I direct sow. I put a stick in the ground, cut the bottom off the bottle, thread the stick through the hole at the neck and plant the seeds around the base of the stick.  I take them off once the plant is well established and it's warm by then anyway.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 10:35:46 »
Does anyone know if you can still get frames for standard horti-glass or am I better off making some myself.... I'll have spare glass left over once my greenhouse is up as I'm covering one side with twinwall, even though I've got some broken panes to replace, the fact that it's a 20x10 means there will be a lot of spare glass.... might as well get soem use from it....

chrisc

Tonythegardener

• Quarter Acre
  • http://tonythegardener.blogspot.com/
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 20:05:22 »
I've looked around for these Chris and I can't find them either.  Would appreciate anyone telling me where I can get them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal