Author Topic: Growth after germination  (Read 2390 times)

Stedic

• Quarter Acre
Growth after germination
« on: April 11, 2011, 17:17:55 »
Hello all,

Its my first year growing chilli's and am not sure how its going.  My first batch is of 8 Numex Twilight and some Cayenne have just about emerged.  The Numex's are only about 1 - 2cm tall with two small leaves.  They've been like this for around 10 days now, despite plenty of sunlight and water.  They're in individual fibre pots of cheap compost and have been in a small plastic greenhouse/shelf with the other seedlings (i.e. tomatos) which have been doing well.

Is this normal for chilli's?  Do they need more heat or pot space? Maybe some feed?

Steve

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Growth after germination
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 17:46:25 »
Hello all,

Its my first year growing chilli's and am not sure how its going.  My first batch is of 8 Numex Twilight and some Cayenne have just about emerged.  The Numex's are only about 1 - 2cm tall with two small leaves.  They've been like this for around 10 days now, despite plenty of sunlight and water.  They're in individual fibre pots of cheap compost and have been in a small plastic greenhouse/shelf with the other seedlings (i.e. tomatos) which have been doing well.

Is this normal for chilli's?  Do they need more heat or pot space? Maybe some feed?

Steve

Chilli's do tend to like it warm, especially when they're starting out, I normally keep mine in the propagators (heated) until they've got two true leaves if I can....

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 18:12:12 »
Agree with Chriscross, it sounds like a lack of warmth.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 18:23:12 »
I keep my chilis indoors on a warm windowsill maybe till the end of Aril - mid May. Then to the plastic greenhouse they go.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal