Author Topic: THE POSTMAN only knocks once  (Read 2867 times)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
THE POSTMAN only knocks once
« on: April 10, 2011, 21:45:28 »
im up stairs, a knock on the door, down i go only to find a note in the letterbox
it says SOMETHING FOR YOU, it was the bloody postman !!. my q is how can he write out the card so fast and vanish   ??? ???

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: THE POSTMAN only knocks once
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 21:47:13 »
lots of practice.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 21:50:48 »
I once saw my postman through the window as he walked towards my house. I opened the door just as he went to put the 'Sorry you were out' card through nthe letterbox.  :D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 22:06:48 »
We got one and they had sent the packet back 16 miles away, still have not redelivered it hope it is not some plants I am expecting.  I am sure they did not knock at all.  Apparently it now cost 50p to collect from the PO. 

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 22:34:49 »
talking to out local postie he writes the cards out before he leaves unless he knows the location and there is a backup delivery spot (like neighbour) etc.

But our postie rocks (helps he lives around the corner) he even came back after work and brought a package with him to drop off when he was walking his doggies as it was live plants and the neighbor was not in.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 22:55:33 »
This makes me very cross, they have to buzz me which makes my telephone ring so I know he is at the door. We have many times had the note left with the mail. I think they leave the stuff in the van which is quite a walk to our doors then leave the card instead of phoning up.

Mind you it doesn`t happen  now since I went down on my elbow crutches and told the postie face to face it was odd the phone hadn`t rung as I rarely leave the apartment and I thought I had better phone the post office to find an alternative.. He looked a bit shame faced especially as I get a great many parcels so he had pulled this one many times.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 11:02:45 »
We got one and they had sent the packet back 16 miles away, still have not redelivered it hope it is not some plants I am expecting.  I am sure they did not knock at all.  Apparently it now cost 50p to collect from the PO. 

digeroo  use this link for re delievery day, and save 50p

jim

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400040&mediaId=37000673

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:47:41 »
Many thanks for the link except I do not have a reference number, all I got was a card with a phone no on of the sorting office, no date nothing.  I presume he just writes out the cards and then posts them in the boxes, not need to knock or even take the goods out of the van.  Our regular posties are great so it must have been a  fill in from 16 miles away who does not know where our post office is.

I thought it was some strawberry plants so was worried they were rotting away somewhere but they have now arrived and look really healthy so I am not sure that anything is missing.  It did not need signing for so they normally leave such things on the door mat. 

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 12:03:16 »
Code: [Select]
Apparently it now cost 50p to collect from the PO
Not true. Unless this has changed in the last few days, or is different in certain areas? I usually have to collect things from the postal depot as they deliver while I am at work, and thankfully have never been charged anything!

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 12:26:39 »
Code: [Select]
Apparently it now cost 50p to collect from the PO
Not true. Unless this has changed in the last few days, or is different in certain areas? I usually have to collect things from the postal depot as they deliver while I am at work, and thankfully have never been charged anything!

hi lewic its 50p charge from your post office, and free from the postal depot

regards    jim

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 16:38:07 »
Post office charged me.  >:(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 17:13:05 »
as Jim said, Post Offices will charge, but if you pick it up from your local sorting office (where your post is returned to) it is free of charge to pick up (as is redelivery to the door).  The note put through your door should give an address and contact details... 

You don't need a reference number to use the link Jim posted earlier, to request redelivery - it asks for name and address and it works out automatically which package/s are outstanding for delivery. (I've did it ages ago, and it worked amazingly)

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 18:25:14 »
had my letters through while i was in once and there was a "you wasnt in" card included

he didnt knock once

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal