Author Topic: Ryobi touch start  (Read 9086 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Ryobi touch start
« on: April 09, 2011, 09:50:46 »
I'm thinking of buying a Ryobi touch-start strimmer but was wondering whether I might be better with the brush-cutter. Does anyone know whether they both fit on the same shaft?

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Ryobi touch start
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 12:33:24 »
I'm thinking of buying a Ryobi touch-start strimmer but was wondering whether I might be better with the brush-cutter. Does anyone know whether they both fit on the same shaft?

There are a thousand and one Ryobi models, so you'd need to tell us which one you're looking at.

Most middle weight and upwards models can take both a strimmer head and a brushcutter.

But I've found that for allotment use, I have the strimmer head fitted on my machine 90% of the time.  A brushcutter is a fairly unforgiving blade, and you can very easily chop down things that you didn't mean to.  Of course, if you're clearing areas of old undergrowth, it's a different matter.

And, personally, I'd only use a brushcutter blade on a machine with handlebars and a shoulder strap.  Too easy to take your toes off otherwise.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 13:11:24 »
Ouch! think I'll stick with the strimmer! Which model do you have, Melbourne?

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 18:47:35 »
I'm currently using a Stihl FS86 (secondhand bargain from eBay), but we have a Ryobi PLT2543Y for lighter work, bought two years ago.  That model is now obsolete, and I guess the current one would be the RLT26HT or RLT26CDS which is the easy-start version.  Personally I'd keep an eye open for Ryobi special offers at B&Q or Screwfix (but avoid McCulloch, JCB, and own brands).

Ryobi have had some quality problems in recent years.  Common complaints are that the line feed doesn't feed properly and snaps the line (common to all strimmers occasionally IME), the engines are difficult to start, and the bolt holding the strimmer head seizes up so that you can't reload the line.  I've suffered the last of these and had to buy a new strimmer head, but other than that, ours has been good.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 19:25:32 »
I had a Ryobi a few years ago, never again, it lasted one season. I use a B&Q Homelite one now, absolutely brilliant. It starts first time and is light enough to use one handed. ;D
DaiT

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 22:01:24 »
I've got a Ryobi that came with interchangeable bits to put a brushcutter or strimmer on the same shaft, I've bough a spare shaft so as to have both to hand cos it's an Expand-It model, also have the mower and the cultivator.... starting it is a law unto itself, nothing like the manual but it isn't too hard.... does the job.... I'm generally a fan of Ryobi stuff, got an awful lot of One-plus stuff and also a petrol chainsaw..... they do have a digital quality issue, most of it works well, will give years of service for a keen price, the bad'uns never work ..... I had a one+ spiral saw that just burnt out in my hand first time I turned it on.....

Expand-it (not just Ryobi do it) might be your friend.... buy the brushcutter, add a strimmer head for about 30 quid.....

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 08:39:29 »
We had the same Ryobi model as melbourne10 and had lots of problems with this - especially the head seizing up and needing to buy a replacement - the bolt holding this on seemed to melt!  Lots of powered garden equipment nowadays seem to be made down to a price and whereas previously the part would be 'metal' its now plastic which wears quickly.
The B&Q Homelite trimmers also seem to have problems with the pull cord jamming. My husband is our 'field machinery maintenance man' and he get lots of people coming to him with their Homelite trimmers where the cord is jamming;  these have a two year warranty (which most people don't realise) so he advises people, if they have the receipt, to send them back. 

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:15:18 »
Thanks for the advice- this looks like a good deal- free postage and 2 yrs warranty:

http://www.tools4thegarden.co.uk/Strimmers-&-Brushcutters/Petrol-Strimmers-&-Brushcutters/Ryobi-RLT30CET-Strimmer---30cc-Touch-Start-Strimmer-/p-71-91-2115/?gclid=CIjriKGEj6gCFYEc4QodrBLSCw

That looks like a good price for that machine, which should serve you well.  My one reservation about the electric start models is that they do weigh around 3lb to 4lb more than the pull start ones.  But if you find it a bit heavy, a shoulder strap or harness will take the strain off your arms.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 13:09:03 »
I think I have said on here before that I have a Ryobi Strimmer which I have treated very badly over 5 or 6 years, but every spring it bursts into life again and does exactly what I want. I would definitely get one at that price, Caroline.

BTW, anyone know where does the best price on line for strimmers?

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 16:45:10 »
I bought the Ryobi expandit about 2 years ago with touch start. What a machine! I was so pleased I bought the attachments as well. Hover mower,heavy duty strimmer,the bendy hedge trimmer, tiller and normal strimmer. The only trouble I got was the battery refused to charge so I sent off for a replacement. Wouldn't be without it.

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 18:22:42 »
i have a ryobi strimmer for the lottie,just the pull start expandit

initially had running issues with it but a new plug and adjusted ht lead insulation solved it,runs a treat now

i use stihl equipment at work and they are worth the extra money,the quality cant be beat imo

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 19:07:07 by gaz2000 »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 16:02:23 »
Well, I got mine and used it for the first time today. When I first unpacked it I was a bit horrified by the size and weight of it, but the shoulder strap helps and I'm well impressed with the touch start. But I'm confused about the two different heads that come with it- the bump feed which is fitted and the fixed line which comes included as an extra. Can anyone tell me in what circumstances I might use the fixed line?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 23:28:49 »

BTW, anyone know where does the best price on line for strimmers?

Screwfix is pretty good, I'm using they're reload lione of the same size as the original RYobi and it's giving good service...also it's an astonishing dayglo yellow so easy to see if it's snapped...which it doesn't do much...

chrisc

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 23:31:11 »
Well, I got mine and used it for the first time today. When I first unpacked it I was a bit horrified by the size and weight of it, but the shoulder strap helps and I'm well impressed with the touch start. But I'm confused about the two different heads that come with it- the bump feed which is fitted and the fixed line which comes included as an extra. Can anyone tell me in what circumstances I might use the fixed line?

Tougher weeds basically or light brush.... it's not as effective as the triarc metal blade for brushcutting but it will slice through heavy brambles and nettles a lot better than any line strimmer will.... the blades can be a pest to replace so I've not bothered with mine cos I've got the triarc as well...

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 14:16:28 »

The two heads do the same job.  The fixed line is much easier to reload, but of course you have to reload it much more often in general use. 

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 16:07:05 »
Thanks- I rang the Ryobi helpline and they said much the same. i've read in some reviews that the fixed line doesn't get tangled up in plants, which could be an advantage.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal