Author Topic: so dry!  (Read 5762 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: so dry!
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 17:02:34 »
A real delluge here. Oh no its just the horse in the next field peeing.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 17:17:21 »
Lol - nothing here in my little nit of South London and the wind is drying the soil out even more..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 18:40:19 »
Been raining here for couple of hours at least - could do with a few days of it though.....

CornishLass

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 19:31:56 »
I was really annoyed earlier as weatherman said heavy rain from early morning so planned my day to get stuff done indoors.  Then what do you know but didn't rain til 2pm.  We did need it though but fed up I couldn't get down the allotment to finish putting my fence up!  Oh well, always tomorrow.....

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 19:36:27 »
its tried to rain here,few spots but thats all

planted spuds yesterday which were watered in,just need a nice rainfall to work through the soil a little

and ive digging to next week,no chance with the dry clay clumps that need breaking up,its like concrete

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 20:03:58 »
Well all the possible blobs on the radar have passed by now and we did not get enough to join up the spots.  Will not water the soil and certainly nothing to fill the empty water butt, only one light shower on the forecast over the next four days. 

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 07:48:32 »
all we've had since I started this thread was about half a mm! This week we've got temperatures in the mid-20s!  :o

On Sunday I dug holes to plant my spuds. A foot down the ground was completely bone dry.  :o

So I'm going to have to resort to soaking the ground with the hose.  :o and quickly spreading a thick mulch before the lot evaporates again.  ::)

I just hope I've got enough compost!
gone to pot :D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 09:34:02 »
 A couple of days ago they were predicting rain for us for the end of the week.... now they're not.... it's all sunny.... that means either tomorrow or thursday evenign I will spend all the daylight tiem from when I get home to when it gets dark watering the allotment.... argh.....

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 12:50:48 »
I cant remember when we actually had any rain?.....apart from the half dozen spots we had last Thursday at around 11:30am!!

I incorporated lots of manure again this year like I do every year and there is moisture about 6" down below the surface.Im trying to go easy on the watering but if we dont get some soon the hosepipe will be out to top up the butts!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 12:56:37 »
I seem to remember we had a dry spring last year, followed by a very wet unsummery summer, and so I'm just enjoying it while it's here, and assuming everything will right itself eventually!

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 14:17:42 »
I came home from work this morning to see (with some joy) spots on the patio. I thought of the newly earthed up spuds and the freshly erected guttering on my shed aiming for the IBC (1000ltr water butt) thingy me bob.

Such disappointment, not even a covered patio slab !!!!!!!  ... I can't afford to keep taking water to plot from house. Charges are huge from last year  :(
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 16:03:46 »
Yeah, dry here too, they are saying northern France has had 30% less rain than it should at this time of year.
I have all my little seedlings in, so I watered Saturday, and Sunday and this morning! Although suprisingly the things I just transplanted this weekend (lettuce, beets, broccoli) seem upright and happy!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 17:12:10 »
Dry here too, no rain since mid Feb.   :o
When we got our council compost I covered my spud bed with it, and its now damp underneath where I have dug to put the spuds in.    :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal