Author Topic: Black Bees  (Read 3161 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Black Bees
« on: April 10, 2011, 16:28:02 »
Does anyone know anything about black bees, I orginally though they were solitary but there are loads of them this year so I am sure they are honey bees.  They seem to like crab apple flowers.   

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Black Bees
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 18:15:35 »
Native British honeybees are blackish, and there are several species of black solitary bee. Can you tell us more? Where are you seeing them, for instance, and what size are they?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 20:44:41 »
They are around the crab apple in the hedge at the top of the site.  They are not solitary there are far too many of them.  They are black with white stripes and they are honey bees size, perhaps 10% smaller and honey bee shapes in other words long and thin rather than fat like a bumble bee.    They live at the bottom of long burrows in the soil.  Does not have a shiny bottom like a carpenter.

I think they might the these

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/new-life-for-the-ancient-black-honeybee-1686781.html

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 23:14:32 »
It sounds as though it is one of the solitary bees particularly as they are burrowing into the ground (there are about 200 different types varying considerably in size and where they lay their eggs). When they decide to lay eggs the females tend to congregate together and this gives the appearance of a 'swarm' of bees.
The female will be collecting pollen to put in the burrow and then she will lay eggs. They will remain there until about this time next year and then emerge as adults to continue the cycle. The ones you see now will all die after they have laid their eggs.
Solitary bees are actually very important pollinators.
It is possible to provide places for some of the species to lay eggs, eg. bundles of hollow stems of varying sizes, holes drilled in logs, but some of the bees will need very small holes in which to lay their eggs. They usually seal the ends with mud.
Leaf cutter bees are a type of solitary bee.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 18:51:10 »
If they burrow, and they aren't bumblebees, which sometimes nest in mouse burrows, then they're definitely solitary bees. You sometimes get a great many nesting in a small area, or your crabapple might just be the best source of food around.

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 19:29:15 »
Possibly one of the Colletes spp?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 19:18:08 »
That's what I'm thinking.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 17:49:27 »
Seen quite a few VERY large bumbley type things that are mainly black (butt end)
about an inch long and fat!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal