Author Topic: waterproof membrane  (Read 1947 times)

CornishLass

• Not So New ...
waterproof membrane
« on: April 13, 2011, 14:41:07 »
Hello,

I am intending to cover a couple of my beds this year due to time constraints and am planning on planting through holes (squash etc).  Initially I was going to use cardboard but have found a huge roll of damp proof membrane and was wondering whether I could use this?  My only thought is that water wouldn't be able to penetrate.

Your advice would be great  :)

CL

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: waterproof membrane
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 20:49:37 »
if you create 'dips' for planting in, with 'humps' between these, then any rain that falls will be directed to the plants. also, any evaporation that takes place under the cover will also return to the plants, win win situation.
You couldn't make it up!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: waterproof membrane
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 00:57:45 »
Just make sure you lift the whole lot every year - or if you don't then lift it all and dump it as soon as you see any cracking anywhere - sunlight makes it brittle and then it becomes a pain to get up.

Of course you can put carpet on top and get the best of both worlds - as long as you religiously remove any weeds that get a foothold in the carpet, and pierce any dips to drain them lest they remain damp and encourage weeds.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal