Author Topic: Amaryllis - repot?  (Read 1479 times)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
Amaryllis - repot?
« on: April 01, 2011, 07:00:47 »
I was given a beautiful amaryllis at Christmas. Have read up on aftercare but can't find out if I should repot given that it is currently in one without any drainage holes. Can anyone help?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Amaryllis - repot?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 07:35:27 »
Definitely.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:40:48 »
Thanks, Saddad - I shall do so forthwith.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 07:47:37 »
I was given one of these a couple of years ago and it has now become 5 and all have flowered in the last few weeks.

When you repot, make sure its shoulders are above the compost and give it a good feed of liquid rose or tomato food.  As with any bulb, keep it fed and wtered till the leaves die down then let it rest, although I find my lot always have some greenery to keep going.   I keep the pots out of the way on a bright but north facing window sill.

Either way, start feeding and watering again in autumn to encourage the next set of flowers.  My two biggest now produce two flower stalks.  Offsets from the bulb can take a couple of years to grow to flowering size.
Obxx - Vendée France

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 20:45:33 »
I learned a few years ago that amaryllis flower better when tight in their pot. I've followed this advice and this year had 8+ flower spikes on 'apple blossom. The pot I chose has no drainage and last year I sprinked a good bit of slow release fertiliser and have to water carefully where there is a tiny gap through the bulbs. After this year's flowering has finished [first flush finished, second on its way] I intend to repot into larger pot but it may not flower as well while it catches up. I think its the stress of too small a pot that makes them flower but the slow release may also help. I put them in the patio during the summer and they never completely dry off although some leaves do fall off.ps The new pot does have a drainage hole.. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal