Author Topic: What can I use............  (Read 3948 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
What can I use............
« on: January 18, 2005, 18:34:26 »
..........to stand all of my pots and seed trays in whilst they are in the conservatory so when I water them I don't also flood the floor!  I have a couple of large trays and an old washing up bowl and a couple of cat litter trays, but cheap is good, free is better....any ideas?

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: What can I use............
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 22:09:04 »
How about a baby bath Emma.. havent got one myself but im sure that you either have one or could pick one up at a car boot sale. :D

heres the edit:
just remembered what I use to carry stuff between home and the lotty.. an old bread tray.. you see these all over the place.  just line it with some plastic so the water doesnt drip through.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 17:06:17 by Mimi »
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 12:31:19 »
Ask around your local real butchers, they often have surplus drip trays they may let you have.

Do you have any commercial food or oriental supermarkets near by as well? You can buy really cheap tin foil trays or containers for next to nothing.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 13:07:45 »
on the same theme as jerry-if you have takeaways you could use the trays they come in. old margarine tubs, or ice cream tubs- i have sooo many they're taking over!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 18:33:58 »
All good ideas, but I was thinking of something big to hold a couple of dozen pots, or a couple of seed trays at one time.  The butchers drip trays sound like a good idea.  Will have to ask around at the market, who knows what could crop up.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 21:38:22 »
EJ not sure how much space you have but how about a childrens paddling pool. You can get them from Argos and the like for a few pounds, or you probably have one stored away. If you don't blow it up fully then it's fairly squishy so you can fold it a little to make smaller or to fit into a corner somewhere.  :-\
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 22:50:18 »
oooooooo, now there is a thought Jesseveve.  Have a couple of old ones stuck in the shed, could probably work them to sit on top of my staging in the greenhouse......good thinking batman!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 09:57:34 »
Emma

You can also get trays designed to put grow bags on, these would hold loads of pots are are fairly sturdy.

Or how about nipping to the local green grocer and asking for some fruit trays. Line these with a sheet of plastic and that will hold a good few pots or a couple of trays and the plastic will prevent drips.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 10:20:55 »
I use the plastic trays that I buy mushrooms in.

My mum used to get the trays they use in the supermarket deli to keep pate on. THey are long and thin, so not so good for seed trays, but fine for modules or individual pots. (reminds me - I must go and ask at the supermarket.)
gone to pot :D

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 12:31:55 »
Emma, I use old tea trays purchased from the local charity shop-they cost me 10p each, are rigid (melamime?), light,and of course have handles so are easy to move around.  I pop in each time I'm passing to see if they have any and have managed to collect a fair few over the months
Plottie
 :)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 16:13:13 »
How about a sheet of heavy duty plastic (old pond liner/ or damp proof membrane) lay it on the floor/table put a pleat in each corner and staple to form a wall? Voila 8)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 18:44:36 »
Good idea Roy.  Am armed with lashings of ideas - going to the st.johns ambulance shop on Thursday so will see if they have any trays, have an old paddling pool which I am going to set up on the staging in the greenhouse and Ava does have some old pond liner so will give that a go!  Must bore you all and take some pics!  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 22:56:21 »
Well, charity shop had no trays at all so decided to use the kids paddling pool.  Dragged it out of the shed, blew up the first two rings, went to blow up the third and noticed the nozzle had been chewed clean off!  Further investigation took place, and the shed resident mouse has also munched through the base of the pool.  However, some gaffer tape later, holes repaired, seeds in and away we go!  Need another one now for the others that are dotted all around the conservatory in other containers!

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 00:25:02 »
EJ
Nice thinkng Batman  Nice photo

Have you got a Wheelbarrow you can use that for the Time being as well. Just a thought.With a Liner!!

Greetings Take Care  Tulip-23   Mike
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 08:08:49 »
ooo good thinking, great idea yes!

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2005, 13:36:36 »
Hi

I have managed to aquire three redundant large bakers trays which do NOT have any drain holes..these would be ideal for the purpose you describe

I have been using then in the greenhouse filled with sharp sand to stand my small pots on

I have also purchased some smaller containers from the garden centre which I use in a similar way.

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal