Author Topic: Sandwell and Dudley  (Read 5698 times)

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
Sandwell and Dudley
« on: February 21, 2011, 10:19:01 »
Hi is there anyone out there who has a plot in the Sandwell and Dudley area.  A cousin of mine lives there and he reckons there are no allotments there.

THE DOG

• Quarter Acre
Re: Sandwell and Dudley
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 15:41:11 »
Up until recently i was the secretary for a large (90 plots) Allotment in Sandwell and i have to say there was always a large waiting list. Its pretty much look after your own regarding the allocation of plots also.

If i could offer any advise then i would tell your relative to be persistent with aplication, phone weekly or visit the site as often as possable, get known.

Also a great way to get your feet in the door would be to volunteer to help some of the older gardeners to keep up with there plots etc...

ATB D

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 18:15:53 »
Thank you for your reply, I will pass on your advice.

TividaleJo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 21:27:51 »

i am a secretary for a site in sandwell and they do have alot, if you want details for the allotments officer in sandwell the PM me and ill send it to you, alternativly go on sandwell council website and they have a list of all sites and the amount of plots on them.

Where about does your cousin live/want allotment?
Joanne

AndyTain

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 15:21:13 »
If it's not too far, tell them to check out Ramsay Road allotments, very near The Wernley Pub on the Wolverhampton Road.
There are more plots not used here than actually are! I keep reading about waiting lists whilst shaking my head!

I had to argue a lot to a lady at Sandwell council to get my plot as I was told they were all taken, but talking to plot holders down there, it was obvious they hadn't been used for years.
Even now they bill me for the wrong plot number!

Sandwell council have not managed this zone well, so a lot is overgrown, and will need some work. And they may tell you that they are occupied, but the fact is most are not actually used, which is a shame.

There are about 12 folk who do tend thier patches well, and it is a battle against weeds from the other unkept plots!

At the time I got mine, Warley Road plots were also in a bad way, but I've not been up there since.

I'd suggest trying to get a key and investigatiing plots yourself!

Good luck.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 01:02:53 »
For roycurwen1 - you have a Personal Message.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 07:35:21 »
Welcome to A4A Andy...  :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 07:59:56 »
Your cousin should be able to sort themselves a plot out of that lot. ;D. Let us know and tell him to get on here
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Stormy

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 16:32:54 »
There are about 12 folk who do tend their patches well, and it is a battle against weeds from the other unkept plots!

At the time I got mine, Warley Road plots were also in a bad way, but I've not been up there since.

I'd suggest trying to get a key and investigatiing plots yourself!

Good luck.

There are more than 12 plots in use now that's for sure. A few plots have been taken up in the last 3 weeks as the new 'super' sheds that are been put up demonstrate! :)

Mine is probably one of the untended plots you mention. I have had my plot since October last year and it was a jungle with various ground levels. Its taking me an age to even get it to a point where I can start to think about putting raised beds in etc. At the moment my time is taken up removing broken glass and trying to kill of the jungle.

The council have recently fitted new taps across the site so they are about... just not very often.

I'm sure there are a few free plots still there but they are definitely being taken up.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal